Looking for a 5spd tran for an L20B 510

Hi Ratsun Family -

Im a new member and was looking for some help. I currently own a 72' 510 with an L20B motor. My only issue is its 4 spd tranny. I was hoping I could put a 5 spd and take her on the highway. I've read threads where some people say its fine to take her on the highway even with 4 spds but your fuel mileage will be pretty bad. Well that's one major reason I want a 5 spd and the fact it would a bit less noise on the highway.

Before I get booed or sarcastic remarks about trying the "search" function on this site, I've tried. I've found lots of guys that seem to have transmissions for sale however, they are located all around the US. I am from Canada (Toronto, Ontario). I was hoping that maybe some of, if not one or two, members may be from a city near by that is willing to sell me a transmission. I'd be happy with one from the states provided the price isn't crazy (our dollar is weak compared to the American dollar) and shipping costs aren't high.

I know - im asking a lot. But I assure you, I've tried everything else.. eBay, Craig's list, Kijiji, autowreckers and mechanic shops. Most guys roll their eyes once I bring up the age of the transmission im looking for.

so basically I turned to the experts after exhausting my other options.

I'd post a pic of the old girl but I have her wrapped under a tarp to protect her from the weather elements. She's navy blue (I doubt that's the original colour) rolling on what look to be her original rims. she starts with ease and has no functioning radio - but then again who listens to the radio in great sounding cars like these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any L engine transmission will bolt to any L engine.  You could bolt a transmission from a L-28 Z car on the L-16 that was in your 510.

Another option is getting a slightly higher (lower numerically) rear axle gears.  That will slow the engine down, but the car will then seen slightly less "peppy" and be slower to accelerate in any gear.

In my mind, the biggest reason to put a five speed in a car, or a truck is to get closer ratios, or shift points.  But I do not spend a lot of time on freeways any more, and it seems on freeways around here, especially at the wrong time you could just spend just as much time in first gear, barely above idle.

• Like 1

Dime Quarterly, Volume 11, Issue 4 has an article on 5-speed options for the 510:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1

If you can find a "dogleg" 5-speed it will bolt in without shortening your driveshaft. For the truck and Z car 5-speeds you will need to have a shop shorten your driveshaft. But the longtail trannies will be easier to find than a dogleg so it may well be worth the extra $100 or so to have the shaft shortened. With both length trannies you will need to modify the crossmember you have or as hainz mentioned buy the TTT one.

My memory is with a dogleg, shifting from 4th to 5th drops the revs by about 600 to 700 RPM. This is noticeable, but it isn't like 5th drops the revs a huge amount. Coming home from work when I was tired I would sometimes forget to shift into 5th. I always had a vague sense something wasn't quite right but it would usually take me 5 or 6 miles doodling along in 4th to figure it out. But most Datsun folks end up going to a 5-speed so it isn't a bad idea, it just takes time and money.

If you do change trannies, the clutch throw out bearing sleeve MUST match the clutch you are running NOT the tranny. So you will want to take the sleeve off your 4-speed and slip it onto your 5-speed input shaft. Probably wise to install a new TO bearing on the sleeve but if you don't have the right length sleeve for the clutch then the clutch won't work and you won't be happy.

Len

Go to a wrecking yard and grab any l series 5 speed. I went with a close ratio zx unit. I know everybody says you don't gain any speed, but I beg to differ. There's two radar traps by the 510keepers house, I've gone by at near redline and checked speed in 4th, then gone by the next one at around 5k rpm in 5th...and shockingly I was going faster. If you have power to pull the higher gear, you'll go faster. The real benefit is for l20b equipped vehicles, your cruise rpm will be more comfortable for you and your engine.

Hi everyone - thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Banzai510 - Awesome. I'll definitely try to find out if this guy is around and if he can help me out.

DanielC - Im limited with the knowledge of what I can and can't do with which types of trannies on an L20b motor. but its good to know that there a lot of options available. my understanding is that there are some specific transmissions that would bolt on with very simple modifications and others that require shaft shortening. But i'll look into what you've suggested. I also do a lot of driving on highways (or freeways) so I was aiming at trying to smooth out the drive a bit by adding the 5pd.

Flatcat19 - Ya. I've heard a few people say the same thing. But like I mentioned to DanielC, since I do a lot of driving on highways, the 5th gear would come in handy. but I hear what you're saying.

Banzai510 - I've taken her out a couple of times. maybe its something I need to get used too? I've only driven cars that have had 5+ gears. so 4 is sorta a step back for me. but maybe I just need to give a little more time to the adjustment period? i duno. i guess that could be last option. I'd like to try the 5 spd first.

Charlie69 - Toronto is a pretty flat city. however, if it were full of peaks and valleys, than ya, probably a 4 spd tranny would make more sense like you say. I'd also save some coin too rather than do this swap. unfortunately, that's not the case. but thanks for the idea.

LenRobertson - Thanks man. Ya. DatzenMike also suggested the same thing and I've recently downloaded the info. i just haven't had a chance to look it over yet. however, i feel like although it will probably give me a wealth of knowledge on various options available to me, living in Toronto will severely limit me with whats available. Also thanks for the tip regarding the sleeve and the TO bearing. i'll have to keep that in mind. *making notes*

Dolomite - I've tried the wrecking yard route. most places look at me like im crazy or get a good laugh when i say "Datsun". its like im speaking a different language. Problem with older cars like that and Canadian winters, they don't last long. The amount of salt this city throws on the streets is obscene. Cars rust out like theres no tomorrow. But ya, since the motor is an L20b, i imagine it would smooth out the ride with the overdrive gear. But thanks for the suggestion, we were on the same train of thought.

seriously - thanks everyone. This Ratsun Community is nothing short of amazing.

if anyone else has additional info - by all means, let me know. im still learning as im new to the Datsun 510 world, but excited to be a part of it.