Any difference in stock carbs 85 vs 86?

Yamahfan

New to the forum.

I recently purchased a 1986 720 st. The truck is running extremely rich.

I'm going to check valve clearance and timing.

The previous owner has definitely been messing with the stock carb. Idle screw has been opened and shop manual has been well used. Lots of greasy finger prints in carb section.

So I'm thinking about getting the weber 32/36 dgev.

My concern is the kit is listed for up to 1985. Will the kit for 1985 work on my carborated 86 or is there a difference that would prevent the swap.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing your '86 Model Year truck was built before between April and October '85? Look on the driver's door jam for the build date. Just to be thorough, do you have a single wing nut or two wing nuts holding the air filter on? My information shows that a throttle body EFI was used after 'April '85.

If a single wing nut then you definitely have a carburetor. There was only one carb for the 720 from '85 on, the 'electronic feedback' carb. It will have a round connector on the back with six wires on it.

• Like 1

I have a question for some of yaw about weber carbs.. So im realizin if this latest bit of tinkerin doesnt work to get these screws off im gonna need to replace my carb soon enough.. The way i figure .. If im replacing it.. I do not want to got with that mess of 2 million wires and hoses... I keep hearing of weber carbs here but want to see what all of my options are for an "85 720... Is the weber less of a clusterfuck of hoses? Also ive seen some really simple carbs in some photos, and they look so clean... I definitly wanna clean up a bit.. And once i get some of the extra hoses. And possibly valves/vacumes.. out i will start on replacing the wiring that is Litterally the same age as me.. Im not sure id call what i like to do restoration... Possibly modernazation of really old machines? Lol ill work on that name but any help with simpler carbs would be nice.. Also considering that i work on a two penny kinda budget... So super expensive shit will only be drooled on... Then they kick me out of the store

Removing all the hoses to clean up the look also involves de-emissioning the motor. If you live in an area with emissions testing, then you will guaranteed fail if you do so, just FYI.

That being said, the motor will operate just fine with all the vacuum lines removed, except for two. You need the large line that goes from the manifold to the brake booster. You need the vacuum line that goes from the carb to the distributor. Everything else can be removed. If you remove the egr valve, you will have large holes to plug on both the intake and exhaust manifolds, both of which require custom work to resolve.

Weber carb kits run about $300. If you don't have that, then leave it alone for now. Often times, a used Weber is worse than no Weber unless you know how to tune them and identify possible problems they can develop.