L26 swap 720 advice

RasselFlassel13

There is not a lot of room between the intake valve/seat and the spark plug hole next to it, that could be the issue if it is one of them plugs.

I don't see a way for it to hit the piston face unless he has pop up pistons filling the cavity which doesn't seem likely, not a performance engine, smog compliance engine.

The thing is that the Z24 is not a high RPM engine, mine didn't like it above 4500rpms, it's really not suited for circle track type racing.

Seems like it would be better for him to put an opened up L head on it with a racing cam and some side drafts and scream around in circles all day long, although with that bottom end I suspect 7000rpms all day long would be questionable.

Is there another head that will fit on the Z24 block, KA?

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has an lz22 with 4.11 gears, and it rips out corners in second and third gear. These motors are way more fun than the stock z series and fairly simple to build. Its just sourcing parts like flatcat said. Lz24 you need to lengthen timing chain and modify the timing cover to be tall enough.

• Like 1

I've look into frankstein mod be for and its so hard to find either 720 or 620. As I have only ever seen one 620 which was my buddy who I got the 720 from. Who gave up on dat as well. Seen probably six 720 driving. I have try to buy everyone. There alway wiser gentlemen who know they got something special.

And not one in a junkyard yet.

I believe I could find a KA a lot easyer. But rather not deal with efi without a megaspirt. As I aready have a KA turbo manifold for the Z. And all my turbo parts except the blow though carb.

That kinda why I'm at a crossroad here on how to go about getting the truck going again.

• Like 1

Carbing the KA is another option. Get a d21 ka, slap a carb on the throttle body manifold, and swap the KA distributor and oil drive spindle out for those parts from your Z24. Only use 1 set of plug wires. Maybe a couple other small changes and you're there.

• Like 2