Shift Lever Boot Suggestions Needed

I need to acquire a rubber boot for the shift lever where it enters the floor of our 320 pickup. The floor pan hole is 3 5/8" diameter. I have an extra new 620 boot which fits into a 4 7/16" diameter hole. I don't mind opening up the floor pan a little, but this is a bit too much. Here's a shot of the bottom of the 620 boot held near the floor pan:

Boot%20Compare_zpszsrfevua.jpg

The bellows part of the boot is pretty much what I'd like to end up with:

Boot%20For%20620_zps58czpfb3.jpg

I'm looking for suggestions on something a bit closer to the 3 5/8" diameter floor pan hole. I'm not familiar with Datsuns other than the 620 & 320 and don't have access to other models. Any suggestions on another Datsun/non-Datsun boot to look into would be appreciated. The hole for the shift rod is about 7/16" diameter. Thanks.

Steve

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, all good suggestions tht I will follow out.

Anyone have a 1200, B210, 520/521, Roadster, etc. sitting around that they can measure the floor hole on without a lot of trouble? 

Steve

The 66/67 roadster boots are different, they will not work.

The 520/521 boot is likely your best bet, all mine have consoles over them so I cannot get a photo or measure the hole size easily.

Here is a square 1985 Nissan 720 boot that I made fit a round hole.

DSCN4071.JPG

DSCN4072.JPG

You can do the same thing to get yourself by with that boot you have in the photo, just put the boot in the hole one fold farther up the boot, between the 3rd and 4th fold.

You might also go to the parts store and ask what they have in round generic boots, I just fit one into the 65 tunnel I have and it looked alright, not great, but alright.

I would take a photo and show what I did, but Picasa don't work anymore unless I get the image from an existing thread(have to find photo), as I can no longer load photos into Picasa, or I would have to load one into Photolame, which I have not done in years now, I just load my photos directly into the other forums I belong to now, no photo hosting needed.

Yeah, Wayno, the photohosting apparatuses/apparatii can be a pain at times. I've been using PhotoBucket and was having hell loading photos on Ratsun with Foxfire & WE. Switched to Chrome couple months ago and seems to be working OK for now. Someone on here recommended the switch to Chrome a while back but I'm an old codger and resist changes/updates. Wife gives me hell over being so obstinate about it but she knows I'll finally give in after an adequate (my judgment) degree of resistance. 

I'll find something that will work for me and post it on my build thread in the 320 forum; might be of use to someone else. I'd guess that the very early 520 pickup would need the same boot that I need as they had the same transmission. September 65 was the point that the 520 went to the stamped sheetmetal bottom pan transmission and probably changed to a different boot. At any rate 320 and 520 pickups with the top-load transmission are not overly plentiful; therefore the hard-to-find boot.

Steve

Photobucket sucks. I hate it, but I still use it.

Parts availability is one of the primary factors in my buying decisions. I do know that the Sunbeam and Sprite boots are easy to get from multiple suppliers and they look very similar to the Datsun boots of that era. If you can find a Datsun boot that fits, likely you will only be able to source it through a Nissan dealer, and then, it may be NLA.

I bought a boot on Ebay last night from Thailand also, listed for 1200 & B110. I inquired as to sizes and looks like it might fit with minimal trimming. If it requires too much trimming, I'll check out that AH boot, 'datsunrides'. BTW that 520 looks awesome. is it early enough to be single headlight? Looks like a twin to the one 'Zed1' is doing in Plano TX.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...