620 dies after start no gas and bogs

Kadaj

What's up guys got another problem here with my 620, I have an L20B motor with a webber carb in my 73 that's how I purchased the truck. Truck has been fine minor problems I could take care of myself but being new to carburetors I think I'm experiencing a problem out of my league.so yesterday I drove to work which is a mile and a half away from my house,truck was great ran like any other day, as I went to drive home I got down the road to my first stop and the car just shut down,didn't stall just shut down oil light came on. So I immediately restarted the truck and drove to the side of the road, I went to start it up again and I had to give it a few pumps on the pedal for gas. Then as it started I took my foot off the gas and instantly shut down again. So I drove it home keeping the gas pressed as I came to a stop. I thought it was something minor such as the fuel filter and pump so I replaced the fuel filter and the pump, but that fixed nothing so I checked a leak somewhere nothing. When I got the truck the previous owner rebuilt the carb new distributor, coil, and wires. So I'm in need of some help if you guys could thanks in advance!

Oh and another thing driving down the road while pressing the gas if I eased on the pedal I had no power therefor I had to floor the pedal to get speed maybe this is a symptom of what's going on. Again thanks guys!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have a bunch of crap in the carb, plugging up all except the main jets.

But it could also be a stuck float, and you are getting way too much gas, except if you have the throttle wide open.

When it is running, is it blowing soot out the tail pipe ?

If it is, it's too rich.

Pull the spark plugs, to see if they are black with soot (too rich), or bone white (too lean).

• Like 2

What's up guys got another problem here with my 620, I have an L20B motor with a webber carb in my 73 that's how I purchased the truck. Truck has been fine minor problems I could take care of myself but being new to carburetors I think I'm experiencing a problem out of my league.so yesterday I drove to work which is a mile and a half away from my house,truck was great ran like any other day, as I went to drive home I got down the road to my first stop and the car just shut down,didn't stall just shut down oil light came on. So I immediately restarted the truck and drove to the side of the road, I went to start it up again and I had to give it a few pumps on the pedal for gas. Then as it started I took my foot off the gas and instantly shut down again. So I drove it home keeping the gas pressed as I came to a stop. I thought it was something minor such as the fuel filter and pump so I replaced the fuel filter and the pump, but that fixed nothing so I checked a leak somewhere nothing. When I got the truck the previous owner rebuilt the carb new distributor, coil, and wires. So I'm in need of some help if you guys could thanks in advance!

Oh and another thing driving down the road while pressing the gas if I eased on the pedal I had no power therefor I had to floor the pedal to get speed maybe this is a symptom of what's going on. Again thanks guys!

Sounds like the carb.

Partly plugged jet, bit of dirt maybe. Pull a plug and look. If white and very clean it's a part blocked jet and the engine is running lean. Lean running always over heats the plugs and the porcelain tip of the electrode become shiny white. Normally they would be tan or light brown.

It may be flooding or running too rich. This also would require flooring the gas pedal to keep running. Choke may be on or stuck on or the float needle dirty and not closing and the fuel level in the carb over flowing. Pull a plug and look at the end. Of black with soot it's running way too rich. If you are only 1 1/2 miles from home the choke would never have a chance to shut off. The engine would never get warmed up either.

Ok guys so update checked the plugs they were a little darker than normal the porcelain was white, I check the cut off solenoid it didn't make a difference so I popped the filter off from carb and the left circle I assume a jet is wet and I can't couldn't get help so I didn't see if it was squirting but the right circle or jet is dry no gas at all so I took my truck to friend and he said the carb could be clogged which you guys had mentioned so he suggested I have it rebuilt so I will be taking it off to have it rebuilt. Thanks alot for the help guys!

You can rebuild this yourself you know. It ain't rocket science. Why work 5 hours to pay some dick mechanic for each hour he needs to do the same job????/ He knows as much about a Weber as you do. Why pay him to learn how to rebuild it???????

Here's all you need.

Rebuild Kit.... not really needed as you are only cleaning it.

Large table with newspaper covering

Philips screwdriver

12mm wrench

Carb spray with plastic straw.

Old toothbrush

Needle nose pliers

Roll of paper towels

2 Hours of your time

You know now how to do this and you get to keep your money and this knowledge.