620 Gas Tank problems - Dropped the tank.. strange

Dropped my  620  gas tank, wasn't getting gas occasionally. Several lines had been previously cut and plugged. I'm not sure what the line on the side of the tank is for. This thing looks like an octopus. It's the original tank the truck only has 30,000 miles but I looked at some other pictures of 620 tanks and I'm not sure on this one. The tank looks pretty good inside, I'm going to take it and have it flushed out, replace some lines and hope that takes care of the problem.

FDz4NEK.jpg

Nsu0nMS.jpg

the line out... It's kinda hard to see in the second photo on the side in the middle.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20160824_160135132_HDR_zpsrtocp92e.j

The very far left one is the fuel return line.

The one just to the right of it and the one to the extreme right on top (with the long hose) both go to a vapor separator tank.

Vapor separator tank has two more hoses on it. One to the filler neck and one to the charcoal canister to store fumes up by the engine.

The last outlet on the side of the tank is the fuel line to the pump.

Return will most likely work on a tank vent. The vapor separators rust out and get thrown away, likely. The tank vents just allow the air out of the tank when refueling so the air doesn't have to fight it's way out the filler neck. Excess fumes generated by sitting on a warm day go to the charcoal canister for storage.

OK, I see that the vapor/ reservoir tank is missing along with the protective plate in the right wheel well. I can see where it had been and the wheel well repaired where it had been attached. I got the gas tank back from cleanup but want to put it back to original. So I now I'm looking for a replacement tank and cover.

• Like 1

Yep, that's going to be a bitch to source those. You might reinstall the tank and new lines and plug off the vapor tanks lines until you can source one.

Also, send a PM to tdaaj (Fucking Ted) he will have more selection than any old junkyard.

• Like 2

You said it, I'm finding it to be a real bitch !  I'm in Ohio and the yards crunched them all up years ago.  I checked a couple foreign car places today and nothing past 1990... I did get a number on a guy who is supposd to be parting out a pickup, haven't got a reply yet. Thanks, I'll check with tdaaj but I'll maybe end up doing what you said reinstall the tank with new lines and plug the vapor tank lines for now. I'm going to give it this week to see if something shows up...