Glove box

Trod8812

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry...First make sure your door opens/closes freely w/o the striker in place, as your door itself may be dragging against the dash. To adjust the door just loosen the 3 screws slightly and then square the door up. Once you get that done then reinstall the striker and adjust as needed.

The little bar on the inside of the striker does not go all the way down. So the bar is not free from the latch, which is why I have to yank it open, how do I adjust that. And the bar to the right of the glove box that stops it from falling all the way down, when I go to close it, it gets caught somewhere under the dash so it won't close half of the time.

Ok just so I'm clear, the striker is Not attached to the door, correct? Your issue lies in the latch itself on the glove box door, is this right? As I've never taken one of those apart, I've no idea what could be causing it not to operate freely. I know I have shot a little WD in there before to make it operate more smoothly, maybe that may help...I've also inserted a screw driver in the striker to manipulate its position. As to the stop arm, your best bet is to look under the dash and open and close the door to determine what's causing the resistance to its travel. The only thing that is nearby that I can think of is the vent duct. Of course someone may have put something under there that's causing the problem...

You know as I'm re-reading your post: I realize I'm backwards...what you call the striker, I call the latch and vice versa. Shoot a little WD in there and work it in...if it doesn't help focus on the adjustment of the "striker" on the glove box side. You may have to bend it upwards a little till you get the latch to clear: that's what I had to do to mine and it opens and closes like it just rolled off the line. As with any adjusting of doors, hoods, etc...Time and patience are your best friends!

I have no idea how to adjust either of them.

The travel on the latch is odd! Something is obviously going on in there...if I was home I could check my parts catalog and see a picture of it to see what we're working with. If you have a spare striker and are good with a dremel, you could dremel the top of the striker hole to increase the clearance thereby allowing the latch to clear...I say spare because for me this advice would be an experiment to see if it Would work...As to your other issue, if you follow my earlier post...you should be able to fix that! Good luck!
  • Like 1

image_zpsrhaaamdu.jpeg

That's the bar that is not allowing me to close it easily

This may be the problem and not the latch. IIRC the top component to the latch can be bent up or down to properly engage the lid lever.

The arm in this picture is only to support the lid in the open position. It also can be bent by hand to adjust side to side. Maybe it's hitting something in behind out of sight and sticking?