B-210 Front Disc Brake Questions

jboulukos

1/ I agree, I don't see where these are needed.

2/ The inner grease seal is pressed into the hub. Be sure the bearing is in there first then press the seal into place.

3/ No. Proper torque is enough to hold the calipers on. Nissan didn't use it when they made the B-210. Thread locker was invented to sell to insecure home mechanics who don't trust their own work. Tighten them on properly and you'll be fine.

4/ The 'wavy metal cover' goes on before the cotter pin goes in. It's a loose fit.

5/ Yes.

6/ The piston was fully retracted into the caliper so that the pads had room to fit on the rotor. Make sure you pump the brakes several times before driving to move the piston fully against the pads and the pads fully against the rotor. Yes, properly set up you can easily spin the wheel by hand even with the pads lightly against the rotor.

great!

Here's a few more:

1. The service manual says to pack the inside space/cavity of the hub with grease.  On youtube, I've seen people lightly coat the inner walls of the hub with grease.  Would you recommend I pack more grease inside the hub (as per service manual) instead of the light coating i gave it?

2. This 15 degrees statement I don't quite follow..."Install the adjusting cap and tighten up to 15 degrees or until grooves are aligned with holes in spindle."  

How can this cap be tightened?  I just placed it on making sure the holes for the cotter pin were available.  The cap seems to be slightly oblong as if it was pinched on to the spindle.

3. The inner wheel bearing seals are to be installed with the flat side outward and the side with the small channel inward.  Correct?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1/ The hub doesn't have to be packed full. It's just a reserve of grease, some extra in case the bearing gets hot. Hot bearing... the grease melts and runs down and lubricates it.

2/ Tighten the nut per the specs. Place the cap on and if the cotter pin holes line up, put the cotter pin in. If they don't you can turn in the tightening direction up to 15 degrees until they do. 

3/ Correct. Flat side out or toward the center of the vehicle. I place a block of wood over the seal and hammer evenly into place. Be sure to grease the seal lips so it does not run dry the first time you use it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...