45 replies to this topic

#41 thisismatt

thisismatt

Senior Damon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Cars:'71 521, '69 521 donor

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

I have a spare J head that came with a 69 parts truck I bought.  I have no idea of the condition, but I could take a look at it next time I get to where it's stored.  Let me know if you're interested.  I have no idea what they are worth, but I'm not attached to it.

I'm your huckleberry.

One jump ahead of the lawmen
That's all, and that's no joke
These guys don't appreciate I'm broke

#42 damen_red

damen_red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Cars:1967 520, 1968 1600 Roadster

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

There is always the chance that if you rebuild the head it will burn oil like crazy pulling it thru the rings because of fresh head.

You also could just put it back together with the parts you have bought and hope it runs good.

Wayno, I think that's the ticket, I have a nice rocker assembly now(got it yesterday by the way, thanks!), which was the only thing I wouldn't have felt right just putting back on there. The head has been cleaned and magnafluxed, which is always good. It would have been nice to at least have the surfaces between the rockers and valves re ground, as those will be the most dissimilar and would wear the fastest but, c'est la vie. I can lap the valves in and bolt it on, this isn't my daily driver, so I'm a little more willing to have some fun with it.  I know I'll eventually have to throw some real money at it, but right now I'm just trying to see where I'm at, for all I know the transmission could be toast, and I'd be taking out the whole shebang anyways. Just thinking out loud right now, because I'll be in Valencia this weekend and will have no time to work on the truck.

#43 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,297 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:41 PM

Happy to hear the box arrived.

Not having the hardened seats put in the head will likely not affect you that much if not daily driver, when my valves sunk into my head it was because I took a trip from Vancouver Wa to Kissimmee FL in a loaded truck, I had my foot deep into the pedal there and back, it only took two months to need head work and another Dogleg transmission, that was an expensive trip, I also ran premium back then.

My machinist told me that it happened because I have a lead foot, if I didn't have one, I would not have had this issue, well I told him, "that is the way I drive, install hardened seats please", never had an issue after that, that was my first super head, it only lasted 2 months before I ran out of valve adjustment. 

#44 Jwilkers

Jwilkers

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cars:64 520

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Did you ever find a seat. I have one,but is is only the frame and springs. All in good condition

#45 damen_red

damen_red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Jwilkers, as a matter of fact I haven't please PM me and we can talk, thanks!

#46 damen_red

damen_red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

Small update, just got the head back from the machine shop, it looks beautiful! I also had them rebuild my rocker shaft. Wayno, the one I got from you had taller "towers" than my original, but the shaft from mine was toast, so they took the shaft and whatever parts I needed from yours and re used as many of my original parts as they could. I'm happy the way it turned out. Any idea on why the difference in tower height? I also noticed the shaft I sourced from an MG had shorter towers like mine did, the engine appears to have been original, but now I'm wondering which ones are the original parts.

Still looking for a seat!