'72 1200 Sedan project, aka Little Ricky

Taking delivery on Wednesday, but couldn't wait to start a build thread on it...    :rofl:

The 1200 guys will know this car from this thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/68901-72-1200-bucket-build-in-texas/page-1

Pretty much where it was when he got it...

12801639_1107081726011105_76847348155268

Externally it still looks somewhat similar, but with some excellent work done underneath by mister Coda. I'l post some more pics of where it's at this weekend.   :thumbup:

As for where it's going, it's against everything I believe in but I will probably not flare it. I dig the 200SX mesh and will try to keep those. I have lots of stuff I bought for my other 1200 project that I never used, so that stuff will find it's way onto this. Stay tuned...

• Like 3
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hako-1200

Tempting, but no.  ^_^

Honestly, I'm going to try and push all the dents I can, then rub out the stock paint and see how she looks. I'd like to not paint it for awhile, and just focus on all the underneath bits so it'll get "done" quicker. I kinda like the "patina" it has now...

• Like 1

Damn man, you have a problem. How many Datsun projects is this? I wish I had the space to have such problems and look forward to seeing where this goes.

Don't really have that many right now...   ^_^

In order that they will be worked on/completed:

1973 1200 Coupe

1972 1200 Sedan

1970 510 Sedan

1979 210 Coupe

We have an '81 210 Sedan at the shop that is sort of co-owned by Tim and myself. Sort of a "whoever gets to it first" thing...   :P

• Like 1

Sat down with Tim today and had a bit of a head scratch and developed a plan of attack. Again, being a "budget" build, we decided it was best to see what we could do with parts we already have...

We have two A14s, one needs a cam and one needs a head. So we can merge the two and make that work. 

We have two straight pattern 5 speeds, we will install one of those. Also have a stock 1200 driveshaft that is good, and should work. 

We have a B210 rear axle. That will go in instead of the current 510 wagon axle (too wide and too beefy for our needs).

Since my 210 project already has a complete A10 front suspension waiting to go in it, we will use the 210 suspension and crossmember for this car, only with 280ZX struts/brakes.

I have a clean set of 14x6 slots for it. And since I'm about to go to wider tires on my 1200 Coupe, the current tires on it (165/55-14) will be perfect for this car. 

Already have the brown 240Z seats "in it", so those will be used. I'll make some brown door panels to match, and maybe redye the dash pad brown. 

The dash gauge face is all busted up so I'm going to reuse the old dash face from my Coupe that has already been cut for 5" Auto Meter gauges on this. I still have the 5" gauges from my abandoned Roadster project. 

About the only things we will need to buy are some sheetmetal to repair the floor, and probably a new aftermarket wiring harness. 

Body wise the plan is to try and push out the dents in the tail light panel and quarter panel, then scrub down the paint with our usual soap and water and scotch-brite bath. 

I will probably either try and straighten the front bumper a bit, or buy another one. The rear bumper is demolished, so I'll probably run without one for awhile. 

As soon as I get the new wheels/tires for my Coupe, I'm going to get the wheels/tires ready for this, swap out the axle, and swap out the front suspension so I can see what it looks like down on the slots.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Also debating whether to go with...

1. Stock rear springs with lowering blocks (easy and cheap)

2. Ditch all leaves but one for a "mono-leaf" with coilovers (upgrade in performance, but also cost and complexity)

3. Build a custom truck arm suspension with a panhard rod and coilovers (coolest but most complex/expensive option)

• Like 2

"Truck arm suspension" - is this a 4 link, or what does this mean? I'm not familiar with the term

Google image search -> Truck Arm Suspension ->  B)

TruckArmRearSuspension.jpg

It's basically a 3 link. I'd build two bars to go from the axle to the stock leaf spring mounts with a coilover mount on the end of the bar just behind the axle tube. Then add a panhard bar for location insurance.  :thumbup:

• Like 2