Datsun 510 KA24DE electrical problems

Marsh510

Was charging perfectly after messing with the plug that needs to be connected to the voltage regulator. Hooked up taillights, brake lights, and turn signals, and 2 fans with a triggered thermostat, we started the car, and it was overcharging at 17 volts. Pretty sure we blew up the alternator. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Alternator that was charging 13.5 volts before was the same one thats overcharging. I tested it at oreillys, passed. Gonna get a new alternator later today. I have took out my 510 engine bay harness and will search for bad or corroded wires.

The Alternator that was charging 13.5 volts before was the same one thats overcharging. I tested it at oreillys, passed. Gonna get a new alternator later today. I have took out my 510 engine bay harness and will search for bad or corroded wires.

Why u getting a new one if it passed?

Burnt it out. No good.

Got the thing to charge finally. Car feels really good and reliable.

This is inconsistent. If it tested good, how is it 'burned out , no good' ? If tested good it could be the conversion to internally regulated alternator wiring job?

Was charging perfectly after messing with the plug that needs to be connected to the voltage regulator. Hooked up taillights, brake lights, and turn signals, and 2 fans with a triggered thermostat, we started the car, and it was overcharging at 17 volts. Pretty sure we blew up the alternator.

Says he messed with stuff and blew it up