Clutch slave cylinder spring

Lost_Player

So I'm changing my clutch hydraulic system, new clutch master and slave cylinders since my old clutch cylinder was leaking pretty bad and by the looks of it the last owner did not maintain it properly.

I went and bought the new cylinders and when I was placing the new slave cylinder i noticed the there was no place to attach the spring that connect from the slave cylinder and the clutch fork. I'm wondering if I can run the setup without the spring or it's better find some way to place it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 521 and the 510 had the adjustable push rod between the slave and the clutch arm... maybe the '73 620 too. The clutch arm had a hole through it for the push rod and the push rod had an adjustment nut. All had a return spring and a small hole on the clutch arm and the slave for it. I think someone had the same problem and they just bought a generic spring and tied it to the slave somehow.

The reason the newer slaves didn't have the spring is that they didn't need them as they adjusted automatically. If you have the newer one you may not need it also.

• Like 1

Thanks. :)

Hmmm that would make sense.. I tried to find slaves with the spring hole in them but they are really hard to find. And yeah the 510 has a adjustable pushrod between the slave and clutch arm.. And I'm 99% sure that the cylinders that where on the car came from the factory like that.. not sure about the spring.

I just went through the service manual and saw no spring.

I'll probably run it like this and see what happens.

Just checked and the early 620 does NOT have the adjustable clutch arm. The clutch adjustment is only to compensate for clutch wear as the disc gets thinner. No mention is made about the release bearing rubbing the diaphragm fingers. If you think about it as long as the clutch arm is properly adjusted there may be some rubbing but definitely no load on the bearing. That's a hefty size bearing and certainly it could spin if in contact with the clutch fingers and no damage done.

The later non adjustable slave has an internal feature that compensates for clutch wear. Indeed when the pedal is released the diaphragm spring pushes everything back to wait for the next clutch operation. As the disc wears down the slave piston is pushed back but not as far. This would indicate that the release bearing is in constant contact with the diaphragm fingers. There is no clutch arm clearance. 

If you install a spring you will force the slave piston all the way back to it's starting position. From then on you will have to continue checking and tightening the adjustment as the clutch wears and the clearance increases. Without the spring, the slave self adjusts. Just leave the adjustable rod where it is. 

Many people have swapped zx 5 speeds with their own non adjustable clutch arm and non adjustable slave into their 510s with stock clutches with no ill effects to the release bearings..