L20b rebuild, coolant leaking out the head

DatsSully

Some use the term 'turning over' or 'not turning over'. If it's turning over it's running or being turned by the starter. If it's not turning over then it not turning.... usually the battery is dead. Now if it isn't starting, that's different. It can be assumed that the starter is turning the engine... it just isn't firing up and running by itself. I wrote a lengthy reply once on how to check the battery, clean the terminals and eliminate the starter as the cause of an engine 'not turning over' only to find the battery and starter were fine, it simply wasn't starting.

Probably sucked some coolant into the intake. Take all the plugs out and turn the engine over (see above) with the starter to blow most of the moisture out. Clean and dry the plugs and try again.

• Like 2
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe plugs are wet now.

ck for spark at the end of the center coil wire!!!!!!

then see if gas is squirting in the carb when you cycle the gas.

if you have them both then ck the lvalve lash and the timming of the distributor

really you need to get this fucking running before declaring victory on this as it heats up it still may leak

The plugs were out while doing all of this and I'm pretty sure the leak was just coming from the intake manifold, I'm just dumb. I'll ahve to double check the lashing with the guy who sold me the engine since it's a custom cam but for the moment I have stock lashing. 

Also it's the small victories that keep me going with this project haha, Time is just as rare as motivation with this project.

Some use the term 'turning over' or 'not turning over'. If it's turning over it's running or being turned by the starter. If it's not turning over then it not turning.... usually the battery is dead. Now if it isn't starting, that's different. It can be assumed that the starter is turning the engine... it just isn't firing up and running by itself. I wrote a lengthy reply once on how to check the battery, clean the terminals and eliminate the starter as the cause of an engine 'not turning over' only to find the battery and starter were fine, it simply wasn't starting.

Probably sucked some coolant into the intake. Take all the plugs out and turn the engine over (see above) with the starter to blow most of the moisture out. Clean and dry the plugs and try again.

It's turning over than just not running, got some nice loud backfire(The exhaust isn't hooked up, open header ftw). I spent a good amount of time awhile ago getting the starter to work.

I'll search around for things I might have missed(wiring and such since I swapped out the hitachi for the weber) This will run and drive before the winter this year.

Again thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Back fire can be screwed up timing, either/or cam / ignition.

You might consider picking up some good L-series books, and reading through them when ever you get

a chance.

Try to find "How to Keep Your L-Series Alive" is a good start.

It used to be on Datsun510.com, but the site is down or removed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...