Copper 86 Regular cab

Copper86

Just bought a 86 regular cab that is identical to my first vehicle so I had to buy it, I've been on the forum for the past few days reading up on some of the problems I have with this vehicle and damn you guys know your stuff.

The good thing about the truck are it only has 108,000 miles and never had any body repair or even had any original parts removed. But I unfortunatly am not the one who found it.

The guy that found it put a weber carb, header and custom exhaust on the truck. To lower the truck he removed the torsions completely and cut the hole out of the crossmember where the torsion travels through for the exhaust pipe to pass through.

Unfortunately I am no longer 16 and cannot drive this truck like this so I'll be putting torsions back in and getting a stock manifold and down pipe. hopefully the forum can help me get this truck back right. I also have an eBay store and could make some trades for some parts. Its pretty much a collection of random car parts but you never know what you might find for another vehicle. My eBay username is BlazerZq8.

I'll upload some pics as soon as I figure out how lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the near future find the time to re-torque your head bolts. The Z 24 has a problem with blowing the head gasket at 100K intervals. The Nissan recommended fix is to not let it happen in the first place. For this, while the engine is cold loosen ONE head bolt and tighten to 60 ft lbs. Then move to the next bolt. You can torque them in any order but only one at a time. Re-torque every tune up or once a year.

• Like 2

Well I was looking for a reason to take the valve cover off, sounds good to me. My old 720 did blow a head gasket around 240000, I wonder if it could have been prevented.

Is there a thread on how to post pics?

• Like 1

The truck runs rough and smells horribly of gas, i didn't get any paperwork or instructions on the weber. I've been reading up online how to tune them. But I'm not sure if everything is hooked up right. The truck has also had most of the emissions and charcoal canister removed.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

After about 3 months I've made a lot of progress. And it's shaping up to be a nice lil truck.

The rust in the front cab mounts and the floor and toe board was replaced with 10 patch panels.

Rebuilt the carb and added the synchro linkage on the Weber.

New exhaust manifold and down pipe, a straight pipe where the cat goes and a 40 series flowmaster dumped behind the axle.

Belltech drop spindles and shocks, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and poly sway bar bushings

Scored a factory rollpan from the local pick and pay junkyard for 12 bucks along with a brown x-cab console that I cut to fit

Also got a cluster with a tach and clock off eBay,

• Like 1

Thanks the jack stands work very well lol, I refuse to get under a vehicle unless well supported and those stands are the shizznit

The sync linkage works pretty well although it still falls on its face if you jam the throttle but is definitely better if you progressively push on the gas. I read somewhere that the early hardbody fuel injection will fit the z24 motor in the 720s so I'm going to the local yard to try and find one this weekend.

• Like 1

720s were equipped with that fuel injection system as well. Most 86s were z24i motors. Z24i was used from 86 to 89 in the trucks.

You will need at minimum

Intake manifold

Throttle body

Wiring/sensors

Ecu

Distributor

Distributor/oil pump shaft

Distributor pedestal (dizzy bolts to this which bolts to timing cover)

Fuel pump

And there may be more that is necessary to make it run.

Since yours is an 86, check the fender id tag in the engine bay. It will say what engine you originally had. If yours was always carb it should say z24(s) I believe. Factory fuel injection will say z24(i).

• Like 2

Did you change any jets in the carb when you switched the linkage? I've read that people get much more throttle response off idle if you balance the air correctors and idle jets. The mains should both be 140 if you got it new, but likely main idle is 60 and secondary is 50. Better to have them both at 55s.

• Like 2

There was a new hardbody at the pick and pay and hopefully I can find all of that laundry list lol, I am considering not doing it though because I have too many other projects that I could use the time on

No I didn't change anything in the carb, when I purchased it the carb was hooked up wrong and I just wanted to get it rebuilt and put it back on to run it for a lil while as it is to get a baseline. I also put new plugs in so when it comes time to tune I have a lil something to go by.

• Like 1

Was able to get the charcoal canister with the bracket and the two relays attached which may be used for an electric fan sometime soon, I have a sonata fan at work that had to be replaced for a broken mount tab but still works fine.

I did align the truck this week and set it up with .1 degree of negative camber and was able to get the toe set dead on after the new belltech drop spindles where installed.

• Like 1

I have gathered all the stuff to change one of my 720s to the early TBI with an automatic trans (4 speed)  I have the complete Z24I engine and transmission 2 complete 86 Hardbody wiring harnesses with ECUs and the trans control box.  

I have decided to hold off during the swap until I finish my 66 520 project due to the wiring involved.

Here is a great read on this subject.  Reason I got complete engine.

http://nissannut.com/projects/z24i_fuel_injection/

• Like 1

I think I'll hold off on the whole fuel injection swap, I'm having too much fun driving this thing right now. And the more I drive it - the better it seems to be getting.

I am thinking about putting the comp cams camshaft in, although I doubt it will yield but so much power from a four cylinder.

Working on getting the radio in the truck now . It was delivered some 20 hours after being ordered online from crutchfield, who is the most amazing audio retailer ever. And some 4 inch speakers in the kick panels and 6x9 in the side panels.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks , I finished up the kick panel speakers already. Nothing crazy or custom just some 4 inch 3 way speakers from schosche, but I have already cut the hole in the cab inner panel for 6x9s. Just gotta run the wires for those and finish the head unit install.

But I'm currently putting the 720 on hold to make some progress on my C10 and get my frame out of my backyard and get my c10 a roller again and also to get the frame in and out of the weather.

• Like 1

Thanks , I finished up the kick panel speakers already. Nothing crazy or custom just some 4 inch 3 way speakers from schosche, but I have already cut the hole in the cab inner panel for 6x9s. Just gotta run the wires for those and finish the head unit install.

But I'm currently putting the 720 on hold to make some progress on my C10 and get my frame out of my backyard and get my c10 a roller again and also to get the frame in and out of the weather.

the 720 I'm working on has the factory tape deck! I don't know if it works but it's going to be gone. The speakers look shot in the kick panels. I couldn't see any speakers in the back extra cab! Did these trucks only come with two front speakers?
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This truck only had the kick panel speakers from factory

The front is belltech drop spindles with belltech shocks and cranked down torsion bars about an inch and a half or so, the back is a piece of 4 inch square tubing that was made by the previous owner.