Doing 240SX 71C Tranny into 510/L-Series Motor (Questions?)

GoGoGo

So after purchasing a used 240SX motor and rebuilding it (only want to R&R once) along with swapping out the bell housing to an L-series one, I'm ready to finally update my noisy 200SX dogleg to something a little more modern. Before just jumping into the swap I'm hoping to get some guidance first. 

1. Will need to shorten the current stock driveshaft. What is the length does it needs to be?
  2. The current motor is an L20b (maybe LZ23 next year) with a lightened flywheel and Exedy Stage 1 clutch. I don't believe I will need to change anything to adapt to the 71C. Anyone confirm that? Throwout bearing the same?
  3. Besides moving the shifter hole back I don't think I will need to do anything else to the car in terms of modifications. Correct?
  4. The 240SX tranny didn't come with a slave cylinder. Can I just use the one on the 200sx and swap it over?
  5. Anything else I'm missing?

TIA, 

Ryan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If all you did was throw an L series front case on you will have problems. The case needs to be milled for clearance. Try turning the input shaft, bet it's jammed.

Once you get a flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing and throw out bearing collar combination that works, this will work on any L, Z or KA engine that the flywheel will fit. These four things are a matched set and must not be substituted with anything else. They do not care what engine is turning them nor do they care what transmission they are turning. Change the engine or change the transmission but keep this working combo together,

What flywheel are you thinking of?? The 240sx uses a 225mm clutch. If going to an LZ23 with a bit more torque get the 240mm size. I mean you're replacing the flywheel anyway so why not? This will take a 300zx or D-21 Hardbody pressure plate and disc. Look up the White Bunny clutch up grade for the 240sx.... http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/nissan-240sx-f-q/90222-ka24e-de-white-bunny-clutch-setup.htmlhttp://www.240sxforums.com/forums/nissan-240sx-f-q/90222-ka24e-de-white-bunny-clutch-setup.html

1. Will need to shorten the current stock driveshaft. 
  2. Besides moving the shifter hole back I don't think I will need to do anything else to the car in terms of modifications. Correct?
  3. The 240SX tranny didn't come with a slave cylinder. Can I just use the one on the 200sx and swap it over?

1. Yes. As for how long, every swap is a little bit different. Measure for yourself to be sure.

2. Mounts will move back too. Crossmember may need to move down. 

3. Yes. Almost all slaves are exactly the same, only difference is whether it's adjustable (early) or self adjusting (late). I always use self-adjusting 240SX slaves on all transmissions, even a stock 510 transmission. 

I'm actually not 100% sure on the flywheel size but to clarify it's already on the engine and the car is running and driving. Pretty sure it's 225mm. Bellhousing case still needs to be milled for sure for clearance. Have the T3 universal cross member and 280ZX tranny mount so I don't think I will need to purchase anything else to mount it. 

Didn't know about the early vs. late slave cylinders and will definitely just order a new OEM slave for the 240sx. Thanks for the tip!

Ohhh...white bunny upgrade sounds interesting. If I didn't already have this flywheel and clutch assembly with less that 10K on it I might have sprung for that setup. Maybe next time...

Miss read thought you were replacing it. By all means keep flywheel/clutch/release bearing collar together as a matched set.

Case needs milling around the inside of the counter bearing to thin the case for an oil slinger. (at least that's what it looks like) You can swap the 56mm counter bearing onto the 71C that will fit the L case or mill the L case to take the larger 62mm 71C counter bearing.... which ever you do get a NEW counter bearing. The first/second shift rod hole in the L case will probably need to be drilled out from 14mm to 16 mm. This is the top shift rod and on the 71C transmission it is a larger diameter. Case won't fit over if the hole is too small. 

Pretty sure they are the same. Measure the length between the slave push rod dimple c/l and the larger pivot ball dimple c/l and also to the ends of the arm forks. I can check one of my 71B forks.

Picture won't hurt either...

I just did this, i ended up making a new crossmember. How much will your t3 crossmember move back?

Oh shit, its a 240 tranny. If you use a d21 rear half the shifter will fit in the same hole as the dogleg, your tranny mount will have to move back about 2 inches ish and you may have to shorten your driveshaft a little.. Inch and a half or so... If you use a d21 one...

Use your current clutch setup from your dogleg, 99.99% sure the forks are the same. The rest stays with the clutch. Right now im using the stock dogleg slave with no issues too. 225mm clutch.

• 4 weeks later...

The White Bunny set up is just a D21 Hardbody 240mm flywheel, clutch and PP replacing the 225mm set up on the 240zx engine. You can substitute the 300zx turbo clutch and PP for about the same cost. Wrecking yards are full of Hardbodys and the 720 Z24 engines only came with 240mm wheels. A new clutch and PP is under $200 from the dealer. The same replacement clutch from NAPA will be close to 50% - 60% of that I would guess, and still it will be over kill for a mere L20B. Grab the release collar when you get the flywheel.