Max's 1986 Nissan 720 King Cab 4x4: "Big Bird"

MaxChlan

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, MaxChlan said:

That's what I figured... I always tell the parts guy that I have an '85 so that I don't have that issue, but the computer listed the part numbers as the same for the hardbody and the 720. If I put in an '84 it gives me the alternator with the correct plug. This mistake shouldn't have a noticeable effect, right? I already cut the old plug off so... ?

NAPA has adapter plugs for just your situation.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:47 AM, Charlie69 said:

NAPA has adapter plugs for just your situation.

Yeah, this was at 10:00 PM and I just wanted to go home at that point. I will probably buy the hardbody connector and rewire it properly. 

• Like 1

Also, I threw in some NGK wires last night and I am amazed at how much better the truck runs. I bought them on Cyber Monday just for fun, and when I went to take the old wires out I noticed that two of the exhaust wires were basically inoperable, meaning I was running on 6 plugs this entire time. ? 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

For future information:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1000145&cc=1210352&jsn=11

Scroll thru images to view the plug adapter on the alternator.

Good find! I had the issue where I had the perpendicular lead plug and the alternator had the parallel style. I saved the plug that I cut off, but I'm not sure rewiring it and using an adaptor would be better than just wiring the hardbody plug in. Anyone have an amazon link for the hardbody plug? 

• Like 1

Look into the end of the plug and you will see all it does is hold two female spade connectors. You have already cut the wires so instead of trying to splice another plug back on just crimp on female spade connecters and plug them in. This way if you need to pick up another alternator on a road trip and it had the "wrong plug" no worries just plug you connectors on the proper spade. Simple. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with the exhaust headers from Pacesetter on Rock Auto? My headers are rusty, and have a leak somewhere around the flange. I don't even want to attempt to fuck with it because everything is probably rust-welded together at this point. 

5 hours ago, MaxChlan said:

Does anyone have experience with the exhaust headers from Pacesetter on Rock Auto? My headers are rusty, and have a leak somewhere around the flange. I don't even want to attempt to fuck with it because everything is probably rust-welded together at this point. 

Most likely the gasket is blown. If you have to fuck with it, cut the bolts off and replace the hardware with stainless steel.... for next time. While you're waiting for it to leak again, keep your eyes open for a stock manifold and down pipe. When the weather gets better in the spring replace it. 

• Like 1
On 12/10/2018 at 7:48 PM, datzenmike said:

Most likely the gasket is blown. If you have to fuck with it, cut the bolts off and replace the hardware with stainless steel.... for next time. While you're waiting for it to leak again, keep your eyes open for a stock manifold and down pipe. When the weather gets better in the spring replace it. 

I wish I could just go to a yard and get OEM parts like that... Yards around here have hardbodies and WD21s once in a blue moon, let alone anything earlier. Lots on BMWs/Mercs though because money doesn't buy you the ability to drive in snow. ?

some folks have said the ebay manifolds actually work fine. They come with a shitload of holes in them to cover all the different years but also have plugs included to seal everything up. My experience with headers have been crap, rust, leak, no power increase and unless welded to the rest of the exhaust blow out at the flange. Sorry to not have a positive response on headers but, well, They suck!

Any '81-'86.5 720 with Z20/22/24 will work for the exhaust as will '80-'83 S110 200sx with Z20 or Z22.

For the D21 it's '86.5 through '89

For the WD21 Pathfinder'87-'89

There are various AIS outlet pipes, all have the EGR pipe and all Z24i have an O2 sensor included.

Only a race car team can absorb all the negative sides to having a header. They would look after and repair it and can afford to buy or replace it. Only a built up engine will gain the most from good high volume high RPM extractor header that is open.

• 1 year later...

The end of an era!

Yesterday afternoon, I sold my truck. It was a tough decision, and one that I might regret when I am older. But like most things in life, hindsight is 20/20, and I definitely will have "rose tinted glasses" as I look back on this truck. I have plenty of pictures, and memories to remember it by. I wanted to send a quick token of appreciation to everyone on the forum who helped me along the way, because without you guys I would not have nearly the depth of knowledge on these trucks as I do. I also appreciate the sense of community that this forum brought me. I plan on being a bit more passive on this forum, but of course I am a sucker for pictures of what everyone is working on. I invited the new owner to join Ratsun, in hopes that he'll continue on with this truck.

I'm still not done with Nissan, though. Since March of 2019, I have been daily driving a 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan, with the VQ35HR motor, and a 6-Speed manual transmission. Regardless of how much faster, more economical, and comfortable this car is, it will never replace the memories and "smiles per gallon"  my 720 gave me. I hope you all enjoyed my journey, because I sure did. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 3/31/2020 at 5:39 AM, MaxChlan said:

The end of an era!

Yesterday afternoon, I sold my truck. It was a tough decision, and one that I might regret when I am older. But like most things in life, hindsight is 20/20, and I definitely will have "rose tinted glasses" as I look back on this truck. I have plenty of pictures, and memories to remember it by. I wanted to send a quick token of appreciation to everyone on the forum who helped me along the way, because without you guys I would not have nearly the depth of knowledge on these trucks as I do. I also appreciate the sense of community that this forum brought me. I plan on being a bit more passive on this forum, but of course I am a sucker for pictures of what everyone is working on. I invited the new owner to join Ratsun, in hopes that he'll continue on with this truck.

I'm still not done with Nissan, though. Since March of 2019, I have been daily driving a 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan, with the VQ35HR motor, and a 6-Speed manual transmission. Regardless of how much faster, more economical, and comfortable this car is, it will never replace the memories and "smiles per gallon"  my 720 gave me. I hope you all enjoyed my journey, because I sure did. 

That infinity is a great donor car for the engine and transmission swap into a 720!  LOL

I bet within 2 weeks you will be on the hunt for another 720 to build. LOL

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...