Rear Drum Questions

jboulukos

Hello All.  I just replaced the rear drums, shoes and hardware on my B-210.  Both rear brake lines were completely bled.  Upon finishing and testing, the instrument cluster brake warning light was on.  I rechecked the master cylinder reservoir and topped off the fluid.  That fixed the warning light.  I then went back and forth on the driveway testing out the brakes.  They felt somewhat improved although I understand the rear brakes account for a less percentage of overall braking power with the front brakes being more significant.  I then tried the parking brake.  It felt a bit weak.  It works however it does not currently allow the car to remain stopped upon placing the car in drive (car will move at idle in drive), as it did prior to the brake job.  How do I get the parking break to be stronger?  The 1978 owner's manual says there should be 6-7 upward clicks to engage the parking break.  Mine pretty much goes all the way up and not much resistance is felt.  Do I need to readjust it?  If so, how? I rechecked all components of the brakes...shoes are on the wheel cylinders and springs are all correct.  The brake adjuster wheel is connected appropriately as well.  I adjusted the brakes in order to perceive slight resistance while pressing the drum inward and turning the wheel.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be an adjustment on the e brake cable. Raise the rear wheels so you can spin them. Loosen the jam nut and adjust away until the shoes just barely rub. When done tighten the jam nut to hold the adjustment. Now when you pull up on the brake it will not have as much cable to pull and will cinch up much sooner. Best way to keep your e brake from rusting it to use it every time you stop the car and get out.

• Like 1