Accurate schematic for Datsun wagon (WPL610/1800)

610StaWag

The car: sold on 12-20-1972 by Camino Datsun Sales, 916 West Camino, Sunnyvale, California.

The car was sold as a 610 wagon (and referred to, by California DMV, as a 1973 model).

On both rear quarter panels, the chrome plated plastic emblems say in script: Datsun 1800.

On the firewall it says: Type WPL610, car n. PL610-807719.

On the door jam, it says: Nissan Motor C. Ltd. 09/72.

I once had a couple Xeroxes of wiring schematics. One was on two pages and looked complete. On that document it said: “Datsun 610 sedan and wagon”. As to the other schematic, I only had half of it (one page). On that second schematic it said: “Datsun WPL610 wagon”. The two schematics were completely different.

Does anyone know where I can get an accurate schematic for our Datsun wagon?

(PS, it does have what appears to have factory air, see my recent post regarding air conditioning for photos of the compressor Restoring 1973 610's air conditioning.)

I would be most appreciative for any help 

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car: sold on 12-20-1972 by Camino Datsun Sales, 916 West Camino, Sunnyvale, California.

The car was sold as a 610 wagon (and referred to, by California DMV, as a 1973 model).

On both rear quarter panels, the chrome plated plastic emblems say in script: Datsun 1800.

On the firewall it says: Type WPL610, car n. PL610-807719.

On the door jam, it says: Nissan Motor C. Ltd. 09/72.

I once had a couple Xeroxes of wiring schematics. One was on two pages and looked complete. On that document it said: “Datsun 610 sedan and wagon”. As to the other schematic, I only had half of it (one page). On that second schematic it said: “Datsun WPL610 wagon”. The two schematics were completely different.

Does anyone know where I can get an accurate schematic for our Datsun wagon?

(PS, it does have what appears to have factory air, see my recent post regarding air conditioning for photos of the compressor Restoring 1973 610's air conditioning.)

I would be most appreciative for any help 

09 (September) '72 is a '73 model year. The end of the '73 model year is July '73. Beginning in Aug '73 is the '74 model year and the chassis number begins 800,001. Sorry I don't have the '73 part year numbers. This is an extremely early 610!!!

This half year 610 had L18s in them and would say WPL610 and switched to L20Bs for '74 and say WHL610

Pretty sure the same year wagon and sedans are not the same electrically. Rear brake lights?

All I have is a '74 FSM for the 610.

• Like 1

...This is an extremely early 610!!!

Is this why ours says Datsun 1800 instead of Datsun 610 on the rear quarter panels?

​I checked out the Ebay link to the Nissan service manual, but I am hesitant to spend $22.49 when I don't know if it is accurate for our 610. Should I try contacting Nissan in Yokohama to ask if it is possible to buy an accurate wiring diagram from them?

ps,I do not understand:  ...Rear brake lights?

The car is now running perfectly, Thank you Ratsun. 

I believe the wiring for the rear lamps on a wagon are different from the sedans. Very minor, some differences is emissions and engines between the years.

Under $25 for a genuine Nissan FSM is a good price. Hopefully is a '73 although it is a half year and may be included if it's a '74. I would get it anyway for that price... it will cost more to contact Nissan even if they can and will sell you what you want.

Wow, Wow, Wow! THANK YOU!  497 pages!!!

Do you think I should buy that 1973 manual since our Datsun, is  a 9/72 610, is officially a '73?

Two small questions:

1) I see that the PDF manual is dated 1976, could this be a problem?

2) I see that the service manual says it covers: "model variation.....station wagon WP610TM..." I note that it says the M in the code stands for Australia.

Is this a problem? Aside from the right hand drive/instrumentation, do you think the rest of the wiring is the same for left hand drive USA models?

I also noted that it was called a DATSUN 180  not DATSUN 1800

Didn't notice the Australia part but it did say they came with 5 speeds and I know that Australia did get long tail dogleg 5 speed 610s and we here in N Am did not. 

Probably it will be the same for wiring. Can't know for sure.

There is a Clymer manual: "Datsun 510, 610, 710, 69-77". Does anyone reading this know if the manual has a complete wiring diagram for a 1973 Datsun 610, specifically the WPL610. My car was made in 9/72 (but sold as a 73); it's a Datsun station wagon with the L18 engine and four speed transmission. 

Try these.

1973 datsun 610 body service manual

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/8CeM/ZZj8nhyud

1974 datsun 610 factory service manual

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Cr3u/EVFHfy3T5

In spite of the creepy website, the downloads seem legit. I just barely downloaded an 82 720 FSM from here earlier today. It's awesome and complete.

The trouble with Haynes, Chilton's and Clymer (and others) is they not only copy mistakes, they add mistakes too. The Haynes 620 manual is only 1/2" thick yet 'covers' 7 1/2 years of truck with three engines three transmissions, drum and disc brakes, long and short wheel basses, points and EI ignitions, ER and IR electrical systems, a different emissions system for every year.... and I'm only half way done.