z24 4x4 gutless

StewyN

Hey guys im back, trying to help a friend this time. i have a buddy who bought an 85 720, identical to mine in every way with the exception of running a bit rough, being 4x4 and has the weber carb...32/36 i believe. we got them side by side made sure everything matched up to mine the best we could. did a good tune up on it, have the timing set, carb set, all vacuum lines either ran or capped, and his still runs pretty rough compared to mine, super slow acceleration, tops out at 55mph (and that's throttle pinned and going down a hill lol), i mean i could leave him in the dust without trying. what are we missing? Oh and i don't think its related but with a fairly new clutch (well according to the guy he bought it from) it doesn't shift all too great up or down, better when clutchless shifting. Any ideas and your time is greatly appreciated

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Choke stuck on or part on?

Valves set? A tight intake will destroy intake vacuum. Tight exhaust will just waste compression.

Check spark on both sides of the engine. Dual spark runs 3 degrees.... if running single it would need about 10-12 and will act retarded.

Secondary opening at full throttle?? Hold throttle half open and push up on diaphragm... stuck?

Fuel filter plugged? If you don't know when this was replaced just replace it now. Only $4. Carb also has a fine plastic filter at the inlet.

Float level set too low?

Primary jet part plugged. 

• Like 1