New 5 speed in 240

Datsmo240

Hi guys, I'm new here and I just swapped a 5 speed into my 1973 240, i took it for its maiden voyage and it doesn't go into 5th! I've read that it could be the main shaft nut but I am not sure. The trans id is 7418290, I am giving that because hopefully someone can tell me the year of it.

Thanks

Please correct me if I put this thread in the wrong place or whatnot

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I'll make it easy. It would be embarrassing if you were sold a 4 speed so here's the difference so you can check.

The F4W71B four speed has a 6 bolt rectangular cover plate with the air breather on it located on the top of the tail just forward of the shifter.

Here's mine...

CopyofF4W71Bfrom75620001LargeLarge.jpg

The FS5W71B does not have this...

571B_right.jpg

Yes indeed the early 71B fiove speeds had a problem with the mainshaft nut backing off allowing 5th and reverse to be loose on the shaft and proper engagement impossible. I did have a 5 speed that developed a problem of jumping out of 5th. You could hold it in gear but this wasn't feasible while driving. As I had a '79 zx 5 speed waiting I chucked it when 2nd started doing the same thing. Wish I had taken it apart to see.

The later 5 speeds used a special nut that could be staked in place to prevent loosening.

I made a special socket for tightening the Datsun tailshaft nuts. Using a rattle gun is possible, but then you have to check endplay on the gears. If the thrust washers are bad, running the nut on with a rattle gun takes up all the end play and crashes the gears together. When they heat up, they weld themselves together. This I learned the hard way.

Back the the problem.

It is possible that the roll pin or shift fork has broken at 5th gear.