Mattndew76

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HP and torque cross at 6K??? If it's to be believed torque (looks like 138?) X RPM / 5252 = 157 HP I'd say the graph is 1,000 RPM high.

HP and torque should always cross at 5252. Dynos just measure torque and then use the above formula to extrapolate horsepower.

Horsepower is a fictional number based on that mathematical formula.  ;)

• Like 1

Dynos just measure torque and then use the above formula to extrapolate horsepower.

Horsepower is a fictional number based on that mathematical formula.  ;)

I just learned something. Watched lots of dyno pulls online and never heard that mentioned

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

So, I like the idea of a turbo A-series motor but I don't understand why people make it more complicated than it has to be.

I see lots of people trying to make it work with carburettors and of course that's just not something that is naturally going to work out.  Seems like it's either the extreme low-buck crowd or those folks who don't want to mess with a megasquirt setup.

Then the megasquirt folks, seems like a good way to do it but gets complicated with all the bits and pieces.

What I haven't seen is people doing it the easy way:

The first mass-produced turbocharged car was the Saab 99.  They used a Bosch Jetronic mechanical fuel injection. 

In it's essence it just uses a spring-loaded plate the air flows by as an air-mass sensor that moves a plunger that meters fuel to the injectors.  Very like a variable-venturi carburettor but with the fuel added downstream, a natural fit for a turbo!

You can make it work with just one wire to the fuel pump.  Bonus points for a warm-up regulator (think choke), it's nice to have a fuel accumulator to aid warm-up, and a cold-start injector (also nice for dumping fuel during heavy boost) but it's really simple overall and you can grab the parts off any old Saab, Volvo, VW or whatever European car from the 70s or 80 you care to.  No need to tinker with your ignition or so much as own a computer.

pdp8 there a several guys on Datsun1200.com who've had no issue with turbo/carb set ups; granted they aren't trying to get to the 200+ at the wheels that Simon has with his race coupe. A simple draw though with moderate boost seems to be the simplest / hassle free set up.