My 521 project- new to Ratsun

Motopilot

We did the led upgrade on my 521 gauge cluster over the winter. We went with red. It looks great so far. I have not got it on the road yet so I don't know if they are too bright at night.

I was having some electrical issues when we got it all back together. We installed an alternator from a newer pathfinder.  The alternator was not charging nor was theIGN light coming on.  I put 12v to the light and it did work so I was confused for a bit.  I am in no way an electrical engineer.  Even after reading multiple posts on installing the IR alternator I didn't fully understand the system. I have a good grasp on it now.

I had all the right wires spliced after removing the voltage regulator... still no charging alternator or dash light. It was not getting the 12v switched/ignition power through to the "L" connection on the alt. I found that the 12v is supposed to go through the light and then to the alternator via a White w red tracer wire. The Led light I had would not allow the voltage through which wouldn't

Illuminate the IGN light nor excite the field when it was running. I had no charge from the alternator until I replaced the LED with a regular

My Dad had this same issue on his BMW motorcycle at one time. Thankfully i remembered this and was able to figure it out.

Just thought it may help someone with a similar issue.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far some issues that have come up since I have actually gotten to drive it.

Pretty loud whine at 40-60mph under acceleration. I am not sure if it is the rear end or ujoints maybe the throw out bearing. I Need to look at all those.

It is lowered by PO with slanted blocks. I will look at the angles at the ujoints.

So much fun to drive it though.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Sry we haven't updated for awhile. Busy summer and family life keeping me busy.

The 521 had been going strong so far. Did a 400 mile trip one way in July the day he got his liscence. Truck did great... loud rear end though.

I did attach a Gopro underneath and narrowed the noise down to the rear diff. There is a great guy just north of us that has a big collection of parts... changed out the 3rd member and now you can talk instead of yelling!!

To be honest it has been great to teach my lad how to figure out what is wrong and then fix it.

He found some rims and is painting those today. Tuner style... stretch... he is 16 so what the hell. He is happy. He thinks it's faster than his mom's Acura.... lol the noises and rattles do give an illusion of speed. That's why we like these old crates.

• Like 1

Beebani has a set of brackets on the way. We have most of the parts ready to go to put front and rear disc brakes. I will look into getting oics back Yolo again and record the install since Fbucket screwed the forum users.

This winter is the KA24 swap. We got and engine and tranny and pout in an order with Icehouse for a Canam box. The plan is to tear down the engine in the next while and prep everything we can before pulling the l16

• Like 1

Redeyes 521 KA swap mounts are primo.  I won a set from him and I think they are going in a 69 521 and the guy will give me the money to buy me another set.

I installed the sister to this radiator in my 66 520.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Aluminum-Radiator-12-Fans-For-DATSUN-510-KA24DE-Swap-/330508604783?epid=656309739&hash=item4cf3d9156f:g:LnwAAOSwirZTv0tI&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the comments.

If Redeyes is Blackmarket innovations I just "won" a set yesterday for $200...They are shipping out today. 

I am researching radiator options now.....

CHARLIE 69... Do you recall how well that rad fit the 520? I don't know if the 520 and 521 had the same mounts.  I only have 28" roughly between the headlight buckets and that rad is 28.75" so I don't think it will work.

The ebay aluminium ones say that that fit 510 and 521.....did the 510 and 521 have interchangable rads?  They all say the bolt right up of course. I see some had to use spacers which is no big deal. Since no pics can be seen on the other KA swaps here I was wondering if anyone has any experience they can share. Koyo seems to be the preffered, but I need to have both outlets on the Passenger side.....the top could be modified I think but that ads to the cost.

I did call a local shop and they will look at the stock one and possibly re core it with a 3 row setup. I need to move the top outlet to the passenger side for the KA as well which he said could be done.  I am leaning towards that route right now. No blingy Aluminium, but local and it would fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-68-73-NISSAN-DATSUN-510-1600-521-PICKUP-TRUCK-2-ROW-CORE-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR/162683574899?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D47507%26meid%3Da4b9f4f267104097a522324e7ae99288%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D151290723527&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

• 2 weeks later...

Moto Pilot Quote;

CHARLIE 69... Do you recall how well that rad fit the 520? I don't know if the 520 and 521 had the same mounts.  I only have 28" roughly between the headlight buckets and that rad is 28.75" so I don't think it will work.

The ebay aluminium ones say that that fit 510 and 521.....did the 510 and 521 have interchangable rads?  They all say the bolt right up of course. I see some had to use spacers which is no big deal. Since no pics can be seen on the other KA swaps here I was wondering if anyone has any experience they can share. Koyo seems to be the preffered, but I need to have both outlets on the Passenger side.....the top could be modified I think but that ads to the cost.

I did extensive radiator support mods to my 520 to fit the SR swap aluminun radiator and the AC condenser in.  Remember the 520 engine compartment is approximately 5" shorter than a 521.  From radiator support to firewall is what I am talking about.

As far as the the 510 and the 521 having the same radiator, there ar 2 differences that I know of, 1 is you have to drill 2 new holes to bolt in the 510 radiator into a 521, 2 the bottom neck on the 510 has a 90 degree angle in it and the 521 is straight.

All L block 521 radiators have the 90 degree bend Charlie, I don't know what the 510 has.

Also the early 521s with the J block have a radiator mount made of sheet metal that puts the radiator in the same place as a 520, but that sheet metal can be cut out and then you have the L block firewall to mount the 521 radiator, but the captured nuts are not there, but the holes are there.

• 1 month later...

Working on the disc brakes today.

Got the brackets from Beebani.

Centric d21 4wd calipers and brake hose

2002 isuzu rodeo sport rotors

75 280zx mc

Fitted the brackets up. Holes for mounting are larger. I talked to beebani and that is to allow for casting differences which I understand.

I made some shims from a piece I picked up at Lowe's

20171118_192612.jpg

• Like 1