Bonneville Speed Week 2016 pictures and video!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awwww yeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!   :D

Craig, you're totally welcome, I probably had more fun hanging out with you guys than anyone.  You never know when you meet someone off ratsun in person.  Could be a serial killer, eh? ;)  And the Roadmaster was cool.  I think you should convert that into a landspeed car.  I'll work on making Ugly Betty into one.  She already has rust weight reduction!

Finally found my video editing software, need to update the rotary Miata video so it's not so long, then send it to Sam, the Japanese dude that spoke the most English.  Super nice guy.

• Like 1

FINALLY have Gracie II cleaned appropriately.  Yanked the fender liners on the front, none in the rear.  Yanked all the flares, cleaned them and the fenders quite well.  Last but not least I ran the hose through every opening on the frame front to back to flush out any little salt granules that may have bounced inside the frame while on the salt.  Suffice to say, Gracie II is drying out in the heat and other than vacuuming, I'm done cleaning for the moment.  No corrosion for THIS hardbody!

IMG_8631_zpsqihrvkxp.jpg

IMG_8635_zps5eaphxzo.jpg

IMG_8636_zpsbo5cgas0.jpg

IMG_8637_zpsdwmhdwew.jpg

• Like 1

Just spent another 2 hours washing the outside and vacuuming the inside.  Found more salt granules than I thought I would in the rear area.  Driving around with the windows more than half open, that stuff just flings in.  But now, after probably 8 hours of cleaning and 4 hours of prepping, the truck is back to the condition it was in before the salt.  Woohoo!

Best advice for Bonneville?

1.  Tape garbage bags to the bottom of the floor pan so salt doesn't get in the carpet. - Hot Rod Magazine

2.  Tape off your cowl vents if you don't have AC, put the air on recirc and don't use the blower motor.  If you do have AC, tape T-shirt or other cloth material over the incoming air vents so you don't suck in granules that will live in your cowl and make nasty rust holes.

3.  BE OBSESSIVE about cleaning!

4.  Bring a rig with AC unless you like ovens.

5.  Don't go number 2 in the porta-potties after 8:00 in the morning.  They are ovens on hell on earth.  (Unless you can drop a deuce in about 30 seconds. ;) )

6.  Bring sunscreen.  Lots.  I actually didn't manage to burn myself, was quite impressed.

• Like 2

I quick washed the Roadmaster before leaving Wendover cause the damn car wash swallowed quarters like a whore. Really wanted to clean the car on the salt and leave it there, but nobody was out there at 10:00am. No way in hell would I dip my car in the river with an opti spark dizzy. Look it up one of many stupid things GM did.

Haha, I have a crank angle sensor dizzy in the truck, it gets pissy when wet too.  Right after that video, I went for one more run in the river and it tanked.  Started back up after some spitting and popping and finally cleared itself up so I could drive out.  I thought I had waterproofed it well enough, I was wrong!  I think I need to remove the 4 prong connector and seal the back side of it with silicone instead of dielectric grease.  I meant to hit it with water while cleaning today to see exactly where the problem is.  

So I finally sort of figured out my video editing software I got 4 years ago and never learned to play with.  Need to play with it some more.  The video quality is crappy because the GoPro was pretty hot at the time of this video.  It wasn't having fun.

I wasn't going to comment on this anymore but since it's back up... HRH you did way more of a deep clean on your hooptie than me. My Roadmaster has 200,000 and I don't to much about it being around for more than another 2 years. Seriously who is going to want a Roadmaster in 20 years? So how was your trip to the salt? Did you get to see Danny Thompsons, or George Poteets 400+mph runs?

• Like 1

I wasn't going to comment on this anymore but since it's back up... HRH you did way more of a deep clean on your hooptie than me. My Roadmaster has 200,000 and I don't to much about it being around for more than another 2 years. Seriously who is going to want a Roadmaster in 20 years? So how was your trip to the salt? Did you get to see Danny Thompsons, or George Poteets 400+mph runs?

I bet lots of ppl said the same thing about our Datsuns as well.

• Like 1

I did not see Danny Thompson's run, but I did see the red streamliner go 350 mph or something.  Yes, I like my hardbody, no salt sticking on it for me!  That Roadmaster would be great in 20 years!  You should go wash it again. ;)