Bonneville Speed Week 2016 pictures and video!

I am preparing for the trip!  Lots of rust-proofing on the truck.  Wish I had the crappy white truck to take down there, but alas, it's been gone for a while.  So today I started preparing the nice non-rusty hardbody for a trip to the salt.  Emptied 8 cans of Fluid Film all over the undercarriage.  Coated pretty much everything.  Need to get a few more cans and pull the door panels and coat the insides of the doors.  Bound and determined to make the salt my bitch!

Then I figure I'll do a little water fording to get the salt out after the Bonneville trip.  There's a snake river spot called Grey's Landing right around the Idaho border.  Figure I'll seal up the distributor and do a little submerging in fresh water there on the way back.  Hopefully the fluid film (lanolin wax) will take care of the areas I can't reach.

Also going to painter tape off the fresh air vents in the cowl to keep stuff out of there once I get down to the salt.  Camping in the truck, going to be hot.  Probably going to smell pretty bad but maybe I'll find a trucker shower.  Little scary there, but hey, just don't drop the soap right?! :D

Wish I had pictures for you but I don't.  I know, I suck the big one for that.  Ran out of time.  Changed the oil, need to grease the driveline ujoints and balljoints, then the doors rust proofing.  Sprayed the fluid film all inside the fenders and inner fenderwells.  It smells nice!

Figuring leaving Sunday and bombing down in a day.  Long drive, but doable.  Then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at the salt, head back on Thursday.  Might take two days back, not sure.

• Like 2
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!  Ratsun will have a few people there!  You camping at the bend in the road or in and actual hotel?  I would have preferred to leave on Saturday, but that just isn't going to happen.  Just hope I can make it down there in one shot without falling asleep.  Definitely on the water.  Think I'll be bringing quite a few gallons of drinking water with me.  I can fill up a good portion of the bed.  It'll be hot water, but it's better than no water!  I bought one of those guide caps online, should be nice.  Has the little flaps down the side and back to protect your neck.  

PM sent!  New wood for the back of the truck to make sleeping more comfy, done!  Still have to fluid film the inside of the tailgate and the inside of the doors.

Sweet!  Ratsun will have a few people there!  You camping at the bend in the road or in and actual hotel?  I would have preferred to leave on Saturday, but that just isn't going to happen.  Just hope I can make it down there in one shot without falling asleep.  Definitely on the water.  Think I'll be bringing quite a few gallons of drinking water with me.  I can fill up a good portion of the bed.  It'll be hot water, but it's better than no water!  I bought one of those guide caps online, should be nice.  Has the little flaps down the side and back to protect your neck.  

Hotel for a few days then at the bend. Don't haul alot of water, you can get it there cheap. Trust me you don't need unwanted weight on this long trip. SUN SCREEN! You better be able to make it from Spokane without falling asleep. I'm leaving Stanwood at 4:00am and driving straight thru. What route are you planning on taking?

I'll bring some extra with me, not that much effort to carry.  Definitely going to get some sun screen.  Hopefully my lawrence of Arabia hat will show up soon.  I'm heading down to Tri-Shitties, then heading on 84 down to Idaho, then dropping straight down on that desolate stretch of 93 nothing from Twin Falls into Wells and over to Bonneville.  I was going to bring some extra gas containers, but it's only 116 miles, so I should be okay for filling up in Twin Falls.  I can get about 220 miles or maybe 250 if I push it.  I may stop mid day and take a small nap so I don't fall asleep on the way down.  Should be about 11 hours of driving.  Going to try and leave at 6am Sunday morning.

Does Wells have a lot of amenities?  Looks fairly large.  What vehicle are you driving down?  Mad props if it's the Patrol. ;)

You have facebook??  Post them on there,, then copy image location off there.... then post them in that little green box under the smiley face in reply box here......... badda bing badda boom.

pics will only last about a month on here that way but you could easily put them on photobucket and replace them in that amount of time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or not

Does Wells have a lot of amenities?  Looks fairly large.  What vehicle are you driving down?  Mad props if it's the Patrol. ;)

Yes there are a few brothels in Wells if that is what you referring? Seriously it's the taint of Nevada. I hear the rooms are cheap, and by the hour? Driving my Buick Roadmaster cause I can do 80mph and get over 20mpg. Patrol? No way!

Here is some advice from a long time Speedweek attendee...

Freud

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER

« Reply #2251 on: Today at 10:24:50 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide for  Bonnevile experience.

DON'T wear your SPONSOR'S shirt when You pick up your rental car in SLC. Same for the return.
Don't list Wendover as your destination.
Towels on the floor make clean-up much easier.
Put a zip lock bag, or duct tape, on the pedals and You won't have to dig the salt out of the notches in the rubber.
It requires at least a roll of quarters for car wash clean up.
The "locals wash jobs" are a good start but not adequate for returning the car.
They won't lift the hood if they need the car immediately after you return it.
If you fill up in 20 miles away, the tank will still show full at check in.
Drive w/o shoes to stay cleaner inside.
There is a Chevron station on State Street that washes the underside of the car. It's on the North West side of the intersection.
Check on curbside baggage check in at the airport. Alaska has it for sure. Up to two hours early.
As you return to town watch your speed. Leaving town in the morning is the same.
Lotion under your nose, above your eye lids and the back of your ears allows you to sleep at night. Above SPF 40 is foolish. No tears lotion is practical. It comes as baby lotion.
Just be practical.

• Like 1

I got SPF 50 and I'm NOT returning it! ;)  And I've already planned out the shoes.  I was going to make a shoe tree to mount on the frame outside the door.  What I'm going to do since I ran out of time is get a rubbermaid container that I can put my salt shoes in, then put that in the passenger footwell and use sandals to drive, or just drive barefoot.

I also read a great tip in Hot Rod Magazine about duct-taping garbage bags to the floor pans so you don't get salt in the carpet.  I'll be doing that as well.  Except I'm using yellow tape so I can take it off without issue after.  And using clear trash bags so it's not so stinking hot.

Mike, I'm thinking I can not wash it until after.  The Fluid Film spray basically keeps the salt from penetrating anything, and as much as it's oily, it doesn't seem to attract dirt either.  Rather interesting.  One of the uses listed right on the can is "salt spreaders" and "fertilizers."  Think it should do the trick.  Then I'll thoroughly wash it after.  The stuff doesn't come off that easily.

• Like 1