the pile o' parts wagon

Hello all, my name is Taiki and today I took ownership of a 72 510 Wagon. I got a ton of questions I'm sure I'm gonna have along the way but lets see if I can get some help in identifying my pile o' parts.

IMG_0559_zpswnpln8o4.jpg

IMG_0558_zpstujpvagm.jpg

IMG_0557_zpsqftyskwn.jpg

IMG_0556_zpsqp7xdspy.jpg

IMG_0555_zpsa1re1i8a.jpg

IMG_0554_zpszyn908ix.jpg

IMG_0553_zps8wqlt2ks.jpg

IMG_0549_zpsgplxrrtk.jpg

IMG_0548_zpswzls2fbr.jpg

IMG_0547_zpsg9trbo1j.jpg

IMG_0545_zps7qyaq7mo.jpg

IMG_0544_zps2z76pnqa.jpg

hopefully the photos work!

• Like 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks all! can anyone tell me what picture 5 & 6, top piece might belong to? I figured where everything else went, just stuck on that one. 

INDY510 just a regular mini, non cooper, bored to a 1293 turbo

IMG_0424_zpser2atqbu.jpg

IMG_0426_zpsvz2szcom.jpg

its running about 12psi and it's just all kinds of fun. But pretty much done with that...and so the new project. I've always wanted a wagon, and the 510 fit the bill.

• Like 5

datzenmike I just looked, looks like that's all complete in the front, valance looks original as well. I'll put that piece to the side for the time being, there's plenty figure out otherwise.  :rofl:  but the good part is, there's virtually no rot, everything seems to be there. 

Is the piece on the bottom of the dash an a/c unit? 

IMG_0561_zpsvbklbsac.jpg

IMG_0563_zpstatocr1x.jpg

what i haven't been able to figure out is what these two trim pieces are or where they to go:

IMG_0564_zpsbq9ttvpr.jpg

• Like 1

russaroll ohhhhh you figured it out! So that's a filler piece between the bumper and the body! That pretty much sums up all the loose parts that came with the car! Will update this page as I tear into the wagon in the next few weeks, months, years..... :thumbup:

• Like 1

I'll confirm this. It's called an apron #79101-22900, all wagons have it.

I tried to find where that chrome piece goes and thought of the trim that holds the carpet at the rear but not enough holes and it looks curved.

• Like 1

Today I popped open the hood to see what powertrain I have. 

IMG_0569_zps7dwms7b9.jpg

IMG_05751_zpskorym0y9.jpg

IMG_0571_zpsefyc6xcu.jpg

L18 reman from Nissan??

Water is super clean, popped the oil filler cap and the valve train from the top looks spotless. The previous owner said he thought it was rebuilt, and he did say he fired it up with starter fluid and runs well. But then again, he did say it was an L20...but the tag shows L18.

In any case, what's a L18 worth these days? 

I grew up in the 80's and 90's where the street races were in Gardena/Sylmar/Ontario and the rotaries ruled. My vision of a 510 always had a rotary swap so that's the direction I'm headed. So out will come the engine and trans, probably to be put on sale to fund the rotary purchase.

• Like 3

Look behind the dip stick handle on the top of the block just below the head. There's a flat boss with the engine size stamped there. A good running L18 is a perfect drop in swap for someone who needs to get their 521/510 going. With a few mods will fit 610/710/620/S10/A10.

• Like 1

So tonight I took the hatch off the pile o' parts. This will be the 1st panel i do some minor body work on. One piece at a time!

So a few thoughts, the bolts looked like they had the factory paint on it, and the roof looks factory tan and is super clean on the inside, I'm thinking nothing has ever been done on the rear of this old wagon. 

Of course I have a couple questions, 

1st, and I pretty much know the answer, but I'm assuming no one makes a repop of this piece: 

IMG_0610_zpsulz1ksuo.jpg

Probably have to fix it to the best of my abilities? 

2nd, I'm assuming no one makes a repop of this dome lamp cover?

IMG_0612_zpsje0pqhqm.jpg

and lastly, I feel like I'm missing pieces to the inside of this hatch. Looks like someone along the way thought it'd be awesome to remove and fill the outer vents. I'm not going for original, but looking at other pictures of wagons, I really do like the vents and how it breaks up the hatch a little. What am I missing on the inside of this gate and how hard is it to source the parts? 

IMG_0609_zpsa9ypcwuw.jpg

I lied. one more question. does the top center of the inside of the hatch bulge out a little where those vents are on the inside? I feel like they should be inline with the bottom of the hatch, or maybe this is just the design?

thanks!

Taiki

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Acquired some 280zx struts over the weekend, along with a 280z 4 spd trans for free

IMG_0647_zpsjxc1q5cp.jpg

Got them all stripped down and ready for either coil overs or bags. I can't decided which way I want to go

IMG_0703_zpshybaoexb.jpg

Also got the remove the driver fender, not too horrible, looks like a small patch at the bottom, was to be expected, along with a previous repair in the center of it

IMG_0706_zpszjqmbw4c.jpg

IMG_0705_zpsscy4njmz.jpg

IMG_0704_zps4cdwcvwd.jpg

and so we move along with the wagon.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So today I have some questions about some under hood modules that I can't find what they do in the manuals. Or maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. Can you guys help guide me in what these do? I'm trying to clean up the engine bay and wasn't sure what all these do, and if I can just do away with them:

IMG_0775_zps9ucuwd16.jpg

IMG_0756_zpsvku89mk1.jpg

IMG_0755_zps6dsdroi7.jpg

IMG_0754_zps4jknat8s.jpg

• Like 3

finally got the engine yanked this past weekend

IMG_0797_zpsihgdgtem.jpg

and probably a good thing i didn't try and fire the engine as is....

IMG_0785_zpsxyws3dug.jpg

all up in the thermostat housing. The head side looked good, as did the radiator side. but man, ain't no water getting past this.

and while trying to simplify the engine bay to shave holes etc...got to taking the heater core out...along with the rest of the dash..

IMG_0815_zpsbb7upu8r.jpg

hopefully this weekend, I'll actually make some progress in filling holes, doing some welding the getting closer to cleaning up the engine bay.

• Like 4

Nice! I just found your thread! And you really don't need that apron, it just looks terrible on the wagon. But I'll do you a favor and buy it off you.

Mikes wrong about the door handles. Those are the rear door handles from 70-73 as far as I've seen.

The white/yellowed plastic module in your engine bay is the overdrive mechanism for your auto trams. Dump it with your power train.

The others are relays that I can figure out again...

• Like 3

So today I have some questions about some under hood modules that I can't find what they do in the manuals. Or maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. Can you guys help guide me in what these do? I'm trying to clean up the engine bay and wasn't sure what all these do, and if I can just do away with them:

IMG_0775_zps9ucuwd16.jpg

Overdrive circuit.

IMG_0756_zpsvku89mk1.jpg

Emissions control? Mine doesn't have this one

IMG_0755_zps6dsdroi7.jpg

Square one is headlight, other is horn.

IMG_0754_zps4jknat8s.jpg

Voltage regulator?

• Like 1

Hello all, my name is Taiki and today I took ownership of a 72 510 Wagon. I got a ton of questions I'm sure I'm gonna have along the way but lets see if I can get some help in identifying my pile

IMG_0545_zps7qyaq7mo.jpg

The curved chrome looks like the rear window trim curve.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Quick little update as I find time to work on this pile o parts.

99E51C6A-F4E6-4815-BC52-BD09D6CE5A92_zps

Tried out the dry ice method of removing the sound deadner....

99E51C6A-F4E6-4815-BC52-BD09D6CE5A92_zps

Came out fairly easily, spots of it still left that I'll eventually go back and scrape off.... but I keep jumping around the car and I really should just focus on one area at a time....which leads me to the engine bay....

6DE243C8-8313-4B87-947A-36A5AC80B0DB_zps

Started off this a patch on the fender well where the battery tray used to be...

F03DD5DA-E108-4998-BA70-39910948FD01_zps

Plugged a bunch of holes, really nothing fun to see.

A8BFD39D-1758-4329-9BF0-1A6C901DF93F_zps

Blew apart the front suspension to be able to get all the little nooks, also need to rebuild all of that...but that's for later down the road.

A1372731-E7E4-4FE4-B55B-494AF75C05B6_zps

put the stripper to work..I never really used chemical strippers, but man this suckers fun to work with...although I had a couple of times where my bare arm touched it, and I had to run inside the house to wash it off.  :rofl:

9295D112-BBEE-488B-B4B2-4CD77A57D4ED_zps

A3372DC6-F5D2-429B-9B1C-A0C4531AA1A1_zps

I really hate body filler. I hate the fact that the dust gets everywhere. I got a coat of filler dust covering the garage..gotta get that all cleaned up real soon.

E50C980C-386A-4043-807E-07E7982342E5_zps

F04C7801-C850-4D4C-A4CB-37390413ED38_zps

I did manage to get some shiny bits.. I'm not totally on board with the color, but I guess I can address that after I get the bay cleaned all up.

77692348-B323-449E-88F7-ECD4C5AF78B4_zps

was able to get a buddy in Japan to get me a set of wheels. Brought it back as carry on when he came to visit  :thumbup:

• Like 5