Seat Score: Some sweet 'Recaro-ish' fishnets

fisch

Ok, they aren't Recaro lx fishnets, but close, lol! They are actually 1983 Ford EXP gt seats. Though the year before this Ford did have real Recaro fishnets.

Still, some pretty fine seats for my 510. Especially for, are you ready for it, $20!

I was kinda shocked when got them home and I looked up that the Ford guys sell the headrests alone for $200+. Nevermind the rest of the seat. I guess they fit on MANY ford GT and motorsports seats.

Anyway, glad to have them. I love the look of 70's and 80's Recaros. And these will clean up and do the job. Comfy. Good day on the hunt.

IMG_7002.jpg

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_6998.jpg

EDIT: Added from post below..

I am psyched. Ironically, the day before I found these, I asked my dad to pull some old seats out of an 85 4X4 Toyota SR5 that is rotting on his property. So this showed up today. SR5 Vertigo seats! Choices choices. What would you choose? At them moment I am thinking the black and red mesh for the 4-door because there is no blue on it. BUT, these would match my wagon, or my crippled years-off 73 2-door which are both blue.

THing is, though I think the Ford seats are more valuable, the Blue Vertigo seats are WAY adjustable, at least the driver. It has tilt, lumbar, bucket, front and back, AND if you turn a nob, the side bolsters hug your ribcage. That is 6 points of adjustability, lol!

When it rains it pours... after a lot of driving on busted, duck-taped 510 seats.

IMG_7008.jpg

IMG_7007.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

• Like 8
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love My Life!!!!

Scott those are nice. At least you sit in them not on them. Sometimes these deals come along. $20 pffft.... that's a token payment. They're basically free.

I just recently put Subaru Legacy seats in the front of my car.  A couple of false starts but ended up cutting the four 'legs' off the stock sear rails and welding them onto the Subaru seat. Lots of measuring but fits and bolts in on first try.

sometimes it is just your day and you get something for a price you just cant believe add a 0 to that price and it would have still been a good deal 

look like you stole them at that price 

nice looking seats 

Edit: added this to the first post.

I am psyched. Ironically, the day before I found these, I asked my dad to pull some old seats out of an 85 4X4 Toyota SR5 that is rotting on his property. So this showed up today. SR5 Vertigo seats! Choices choices. What would you choose? At them moment I am thinking the black and red mesh for the 4-door because there is no blue on it. BUT, these would match my wagon, or my crippled years-off 73 2-door which are both blue.

THing is, though I think the Ford seats are more valuable, the Blue Vertigo seats are WAY adjustable, at least the driver. It has tilt, lumbar, bucket, front and back, AND if you turn a nob, the side bolsters hug your ribcage. That is 6 points of adjustability, lol!

When it rains it pours... after a lot of driving on busted, duck-taped 510 seats.

IMG_7008.jpg

IMG_7007.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

Do you drive long distances or for several hours? I do, on my Canby trips, sometimes 12 hours a day. Comfort is essential as you start out refreshed but after several hours your muscles get sore and tired. If you drive half an hour to town and back every day it's not nearly as important.  

Longest I've driven in one shot is 2 hrs one way in the 510. Mostly around town, which is why I have survived my stock seats. (Plus I do like originality.) But not only are the springs and foam shot so my tailbone finds the rear frame, but the duck-tape holding them together has melted enough that my pants stick. Before I stumbled on these I was going to get some 260z seats from the wrecker.

On a  side note, here is something funny. After I bought these seats I was researching them, and on FB came across a guy on a MR2 group that stole the pics from the ad I bought from, and was trying to sell them as his for $500. Had to join an MR2 group to comment.

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-06%20at%207.13.3

• Like 1

Friggin' posers.

Yes I had some Datsun bucket seats in my 521 back in the early 80s and there was a frame that used to hit my tail bone too!!! Hated them damn things. The ones that came in my 710 looked the same but didn't do this, but also were a terrible support position for driving. I put a set of zx seats in... nice, and an improvement as they wrap around you but again, nothing like a long drive to show you how wrong a seat can be.

Update: So naturally the dude who posted the ad selling the seats that weren't his, deleted his ad from the MR2 group. Too bad for him I screen grabbed the conversation for Ratsun and had the file. So I made my first post to the MR2 world.

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-06%20at%209.04.1

• Like 1

Well in the end, not that exciting. Dude says he bought them from the guy that I did, and they were too tall at 39" so he tried to sell. Couldn't find a buyer in 24 hrs and returned them. Well they are 39" so he got that right. And everyone over there is standing up for him, say he is legit.

Still, who the fuck returns THESE seats for $20!? Especially if he thought they were worth $500. Just make some new seat rails!

Thanks guys. Been measuring and deciding which frame rails to use. I think I literally just have to drill 4 holes on the underside of the seat and mount the 510 sliding adjusters. Good thing because these seats are TALL, and I won't have to run an adapter, and the 510 sliders are a little thinner than the ford ones.

Cleaned them too! Man Tough stuff works well.

IMG_7013.jpg

Left Cleaned, Right still dirty.

IMG_7015.jpg

This is about how tall the would be if I used Ford sliders and a square tube adapter.

IMG_7019.jpg

Compared to the Toyota height.

IMG_7020.jpg

This was really cool. When I got the Ford sliders off I saw the seat had provisions for three more lengths! Alas, we need 16" width to use the stock seat mounts bolted to the floor and these are 14". But I have enough room on the right and left to get to 16 with new holes.

IMG_7021.jpg