So uh my 521 steering column broke in half...

A_Racing_Driver

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally didn't do anything to it but someone else has cut it open to either shorten it or fix it or something, I haven't cut into it yet but it works sort of to the right then when it turns left it spins freely for about 3 quarters of a turn then i can feel it sort of catch but its doesn't feel right.

• Like 1

The column and box are one piece so nothing to come apart. I raised my 620 and as the column is bolted to the frame and the body at the other end it had to bend... not a good idea. Only other way would be if it was welded..... badly.

• Like 1

my 2 cents.  If it was the column that broke.....at a bad weld or not, I don't think it would work in either direction.  My guess would be it's in the box itself.  Maybe the main shaft wasn't centered correctly?  Maybe the top bearing that holds the top of the ball screw broke and is allowing the shaft to move up in the tube when turned in one direction.  In the other direction, the screw would pull it down in.  

Definitely take some pics and let us know exactly what happened.

And to answer your question.....if it's a drum brake 620, the column might work.  I don't think it will if it's a ball joint truck.  The parts manuals are online.....you can check them for a better answer.

• Like 1

Welding a tube is tricky!  You can't just make a 90 degree cut across the tube and then try to weld a good connection.  You really need to make 2 spiral cuts, realign them and pray that you were sober wnen you cut out the short segment, and make a really well thought out series of spot and ultimately full penetration welds to connect the shortened column.

• Like 1

They have a slight taper on the spline, so they don't have to come back a whole lot.

And I have seen abused ones that were run lose, and the splines have worn enough that unless they are really tight, will slip.

But until the OP actually digs into it, we are all just speculating.

• Like 1