510 Rear drums too tight

DatMo

Mike is correct. I recently had the same issue, all the clearance needed was found in the parking brake linkage...check that before anything else. Make sure the adjusters are in between a ridge, not on one.

i made sure they were in between and I even reversed it from completely loose because it's wider like that. I'll check my ebrak linkage tomorrow then to see if it helps. I've read the linkage is from the middle near the diff?
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't necessarily agree with Mike about not making the drum fit, but...

Again...is there a ridge on the edge of the drum?

What is it with people not clearly answering questions when others are trying to clearly diagnose things for them?

I don't necessarily agree with Mike about not making the drum fit, but...

Again...is there a ridge on the edge of the drum?

What is it with people not clearly answering questions when others are trying to clearly diagnose things for them?

Lol sorry but no, from what I noticed, there's no ridge. It seems to be completely smooth. I think the ebrake is my best bet as of the moment.

I unhooked the ebrake and backed the adjuster all the way....this should do the trick, how thick is that pad?, got pics?

I'll take that off tomorrow and see if the ebrake was the issue. I'm hoping it was. If I recall correctly. Orielys had the 1.594 measurement or something like that.

So adjusted the ebrake line and there's enough slack that when I'm pulling it, it'll move pretty freely with my hand and still nothing.

At this point I'm extremely annoyed.

Agreed, keep the pad and drum thickness and grind away some of the contact points on the shoes where they rub the adjusters and maybe the wheel cylinder too. Make the shoe fit the wearer not the wearer fit the shoe.

So instead of grinding down the pad, I went to purchase new drums. One side was tough but got in after I tightened with a lug nut but then I realized it probably shouldn't be like that so I took off the drum again recentered everything and so forth. After that, the new drum slipped right on. As far as the other side, it just slipped on as well. For adjusting the brakes, do I just tighten the adjuster?

Agreed, keep the pad and drum thickness and grind away some of the contact points on the shoes where they rub the adjusters and maybe the wheel cylinder too. Make the shoe fit the wearer not the wearer fit the shoe.

I am old enough to remember [i think] that you went to the brake shop, they turned your drums enough to eliminate gross hills and valleys, then measured the drum inside diameter.  The next step was to take the replacement shoe set [oversized by design] and put them in the OD grinder and turn them to match the ID and taper required to fit the resized drums.  It was really that simple!  Yes, replacement drum brake shoes were originally over sized for the nominal drum diameter by design.  You were supposed to take your vehicle to a shop that knew what they were doing!  You just might have one of the last old school drum brake replacement suppliers.

How the hell do new drums (stock size) fit where old worn ones (at least equal to new but likely larger from wear) do not???????

when I went to oreileys they measure with some electronic ruler and the new ones were actually .12 bigger than the stock.

I looked at another pair of shoes at the parts store,Different manufacturer. They were noticably thiner and tapered. I liked the ones I had, so I ground down some metal where they contact the adjuster and wheel cylinder. Everything fits and works great, thanks to the posters that suggested it.