Throttle rod to carb

610StaWag

I did not take a photo before taking the carb off. Now I am reconnecting the throttle rod (coming from the firewall) to the U shaped connector on the rebuilt carb. I think the assembly consisted washers, a spring and a cotter pin. I don't want to put it together incorrectly. Does anyone have a photo of this assembly/connection? The engine is an L18 in a 1973 Datsun 610 station wagon.

In case some readers have been following my posts, I had the gas tank cleaned, cleaned the fuel lines, and replaced the fuel pump (it turned out that although the old pump appeared to work, the pressure was very low. After installing the new pump, I hand operated the pump lever (cam cover off) and there was no problem having gas sucked up through the fuel filter, going through the pump and filling the carb's sight glass.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I got it hooked up. Right now I have it hooked to an "IV" bottle holding gas. The line goes to the input of the fuel filter. The engine starts and runs strong (It didn't run that strong at first, then I noticed I had not connected a couple vacuum hoses to the bottom of the air cleaner housing. I don't find any other open vacuum lines or ports. After I hooked up those vacuum lines to the air cleaner, it ran a lot better). I think I will reinstall the gas tank tomorrow.

There is an old problem though, the engine won't idle. What kind of things should I check? Does it matter that I haven't connected five small electrical wires in the area of the carb?

• Like 1

yes.

Blue wire goes to electric choke heater. Hard to start in cold weather and gas mileage will be terrible without power to it.

Red wire goes to idle cut solenoid. Power to the solenoid opens it up inside and allows gas to the idle circuit. Won't idle without it.

The other wire is probably to the EGR solenoid.

• Like 1

The blue is connected, but the car does have electrical problems, such as no power to the dash lights and gauges. I put in a jumper from the brake pedal switch to the rear brake lights,

I do not The only red wire I see is a red wire grafted to a green wire. What is the idle cut out solenoid? In the second photo, is that the broken piece with no wire connected to it the idle cutout solenoid?

Please see my photos at the end of my old post: 

Carb and misc. other wiring, 73' 610 wagon

21139632772_1bc0b312ba_z.jpg

Yeah this picture and the wiring does not help. Looks like wires were added. Find a switched power source like the Ignition switch and supply the idle cut with power. this should get your idle going.

THANK YOU! And yes, it does click when key is turned on and clicks when the key is turned off.

Yes, it is now perfect. The engine started instantly, I gave a little blip of the throttle and then it immediately settled to a smooth idle! I ran and called my wife (it is really her car). She really smiled.

After that, I decided to clean the engine compartment.

Coil questions: Do the black/green wire and black/blue wire go to +? Do the black/red and solid black wires go to -? There are so many small holes drilled in the wheel well, I am not sure what the proper orientation of the coil should be. Should coils always be mounted perfectly vertical?