Having issues with 510 280zx front brake conversion.

I've been having issues with this conversion. I purchased a set of front cool overs with 280zx spindles from techno toy tuning. I also purchased a set of hubs, rotors, campers and master cylinder from a guy on eBay. The hubs are from a 79' 280zx. So naturally I bought new tapered bearings, and lubed them up and went to install them but the inner bearing is way smaller than the spindle is, so it stops 3/4 of an inch away from the end of the spindle, making it impossible to install the hub.

Has anyone had any issues with these? I'm assuming I have the wrong size hub, but I need assurance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you need 81 and newer zx hubs to

Do the swap

'79-'83 280zx turbo or normally aspirated is what you need for the zx strut and brake swap.

Maxima struts are very similar for caliper and vented rotor and a good substitute. The Maxima was introduced half way through the '80 model year so look for anything after a Jan '80 build date.

I've been having issues with this conversion. I purchased a set of front cool overs with 280zx spindles from techno toy tuning. I also purchased a set of hubs, rotors, campers and master cylinder from a guy on eBay. The hubs are from a 79' 280zx. So naturally I bought new tapered bearings, and lubed them up and went to install them but the inner bearing is way smaller than the spindle is, so it stops 3/4 of an inch away from the end of the spindle, making it impossible to install the hub.

Has anyone had any issues with these? I'm assuming I have the wrong size hub, but I need assurance.

1/ If this is a replacement bearing for the old ones that were in the hubs you bought, then these hubs are likely from an old PL510 with the smaller bearing.

2/ If you ordered zx bearings then they got you the wrong (smaller) ones.

3/ If they are the correct bearing, the only other way it doesn't fit on the spindle is if those struts are from a later 240sx... they had a larger spindle than the 280zx.

The correct inner zx bearing is # 40210-A0100

The correct outer zx bearing is # 40215-A0100 These two bearings are used on EVERY? Datsun Car after the PL510 and the very early '73 610. The cut off is around '86 300zx/S12/ 810Maxima

• Like 1

'79-'83 280zx turbo or normally aspirated is what you need for the zx strut and brake swap.

Maxima struts are very similar for caliper and vented rotor and a good substitute. The Maxima was introduced half way through the '80 model year so look for anything after a Jan '80 build date.

1/ If this is a replacement bearing for the old ones that were in the hubs you bought, then these hubs are likely from an old PL510 with the smaller bearing.

2/ If you ordered zx bearings then they got you the wrong (smaller) ones.

3/ If they are the correct bearing, the only other way it doesn't fit on the spindle is if those struts are from a later 240sx... they had a larger spindle than the 280zx.

The correct inner zx bearing is # 40210-A0100

The correct outer zx bearing is # 40215-A0100 These two bearings are used on EVERY Datsun Car after the PL510 and the very early '73 610. The cut off is around '86 300zx/S12/ 810Maxima

So it's possible to fit bigger bearings in those hubs? That would be without the race for each side?

The hub is machined to take a certain size bearing race. The race is the outer surface that the bearing rollers 'roll' against. It's replaceable so that the hub doesn't have to be.

Are you saying the race does press into the hub???? That would support the view that you do have zx hubs.

If the bearing does not fit the spindle then probably NOT a 280zx spindle.

• Like 1

The hub is machined to take a certain size bearing race. The race is the outer surface that the bearing rollers 'roll' against. It's replaceable so that the hub doesn't have to be.

Are you saying the race does press into the hub???? That would support the view that you do have zx hubs.

Thats kind of what I'm thinking, but hoping it's just the wrong bearing. The race does press in. I'm assuming the race isn't necessary for the outer bearing, because with it on it doesn't allow me to put the cap back on over the end of the spindle.

https://flic.kr/p/KcpzWS

Ahh may have found a mistake on my part. Those bearings are shown for the '87-'82210 (B-2310) BUT FOR THE REAR AXLE.

The fronts take a different bearing than those I listed. The strut pictured may be from a 210? The casting bolt holes for the caliper are not the same as those for a zx.

• Like 1

My guess is your eBay purchase is where something is wrong. T3 doesn't do sx struts so there's no way You got larger than zx spindles. Any chance you're trying to use an outer bearing on the inside?

• Like 1

My guess is your eBay purchase is where something is wrong. T3 doesn't do sx struts so there's no way You got larger than zx spindles. Any chance you're trying to use an outer bearing on the inside?

I'm assuming it is, but hoping it's not. Now I gotta figure this whole situation out.

I had a growly front wheel bearing on my '84 Maxima struts. Went to my junk pile and got a set from my '74 710 hubs... prefect fit, exact same.

Well here is the bearing dimensions for the 280zx... 31.75/19mm in American that's 1.25" by 0.7486" I have to assume this is the inner diameter of the rear 1.25" and the inner diameter of the outermost one. 0.746"

The 280zx  caliper mounting bolt holes on the 280zx are 89mm or 3.5" center to center. If those struts are different, then not a 280zx strut. If they are 3.5" it does not mean they are as there are other struts with that same spacing.

The 280zx caliper mounting 'ears' are 19mm or 0.7486" (basically 3/4") thick.

• Like 1

I had a growly front wheel bearing on my '84 Maxima struts. Went to my junk pile and got a set from my '74 710 hubs... prefect fit, exact same.

Well here is the bearing dimensions for the 280zx... 31.75/19mm in American that's 1.25" by 0.7486" I have to assume this is the inner diameter of the rear 1.25" and the inner diameter of the outermost one. 0.746"

The 280zx  caliper mounting bolt holes on the 280zx are 89mm or 3.5" center to center. If those struts are different, then not a 280zx strut. If they are 3.5" it does not mean they are as there are other struts with that same spacing.

The 280zx caliper mounting 'ears' are 19mm or 0.7486" (basically 3/4") thick

Measure and see what you get.