411 front disc brake conversion

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Pedro

Pedro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

Been shopping around for a new 3 way brake junction as I'll need to split off the rear brakes from the front ones. Also need to find an adaptor that I can use to extend the brake line that runs from the back of the car to the front (would love to get away without replacing it).

What are you guys doing to cover against brake failure on one side of the front? On a 510 in Australia they have a junction box that has a piston that slides when you lose hydraulic pressure on one side of the car, any of you guys using one of these?

I'm considering not using one and just keeping it simple and incorporating a new junction like below which are cheap off ebay.

s-l1600_zpswfritvpr.jpg

I need help though, does anyone know the standard thread pitch and size for the original 410/411 tube nuts? I'll need to get a 2 way junction for back brakes extension to master cylinder so need to know this.

#42 Pedro

Pedro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

So did some reading and appears the junction boxes like below are only there to pop up a warning light

safety_valve.jpg

So I won't bother installing one.

#43 raceneely

raceneely

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Cars:410 ,411, 510, 710 & Kenmeri

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Pedro
Whats the latest?
98% of the time tube nut threads are 3/8-24

Keep us updated

#44 Pedro

Pedro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Pedro
Whats the latest?
98% of the time tube nut threads are 3/8-24

Keep us updated

Hi There,

So latest is I'm almost finished.

- New studs are in

- Wheel bearings are packed

- Caliper mounting spacers have been milled down to suit the new rotor.

- All assembled and on the car.

The only part left was sorting out brake hoses, and it looks like I have found a solution using a standard brake component from another car. I was at my brothers place and noticed he had a set of front VL Holden Commodore front calipers with brake lines still attached, the banjo bolt and brain line housing looked very similar to the one of my VS commodore rear calipers which I'm using the on the front.

I talked him into giving me the calipers, and last night I went about testing them out and bang, they look like they are the perfect length to suit my front disc setup AND suit the caliper mount as well. Unfortunately they have some surface rust on the brake line part, so I'll need to see if I can still use them, otherwise I'll buy new ones.

I also drilled out the spot welds for the hard line mount on the inner guard so I can reposition it on the front side of the suspension to suit the caliper on front, so will tack weld that into place tonight once i know it's final position, then just need to run the last hard lines.

I'm also going to rip out the stock metal rod accelerator cable setup to give me more room around the brake master, and will use a pedal and cable from a S14 silvia in place. I'll try and find a place to host some pics, as photobucket are now douches.