Champion Radiator 510

Hi there, any of you running a Champion Radiator have this Prob? I Have an older all Aluminum radiator and after a good drive I notice when parked that there is a few coolant drips under the car. Looks like a small leak coming from the bottom of the radiator on the Pass side lower corner. Travels along frame rail and core support and drips down. So I decided to take out the radiator to inspect it. Looks like it could be leaking from the very bottom fins where my finger nail is pointing. Like along the 1/4" aluminum edge/channel inside. Also all along the bottom core support was a bit damp and car paint peeling away where the radiator rests on.

Guess I can take it in to a Radiator shop and have them pressure test it to see where exactly the leak is coming from.... Wonder if it can be fixed... I think Champion offers a lifetime warranty on their radiators. I'll call them and ask..

image_9.jpg

image_8.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow, did you dredge that off the bottom of the Salton Sea? That's one crusty looking radiator.

Aluminum radiators don't have the same life expectancy as a copper or brass radiator. And then in the aluminum category, the quality is all over the place. Some are good, some are not.

If you have bad grounds in your electrical system, if you're not using distilled water, if you're not using coolant, your aluminum radiator will develop corrosion and leaks.

It's probably not repairable, but your only shot is to bring it to a radiator shop and have them give the final word.

• Like 3

Holy cow, did you dredge that off the bottom of the Salton Sea? That's one crusty looking radiator.

Aluminum radiators don't have the same life expectancy as a copper or brass radiator. And then in the aluminum category, the quality is all over the place. Some are good, some are not.

If you have bad grounds in your electrical system, if you're not using distilled water, if you're not using coolant, your aluminum radiator will develop corrosion and leaks.

It's probably not repairable, but your only shot is to bring it to a radiator shop and have them give the final word.

Haha, Was in the Car when I purchased it, so who knows what its gone through. Gonna have it pressure tested, but will prob buy another.

Yes, they are crap. But there are companies that do make good aluminum radiators. Griffin is one of those companies. Afco, sort of. Be Cool is another good one.

Good quality aluminum radiators are not cheap either. Expect to pay between $500 and $1500.

EDIT: I'm referring to custom radiators. OEM's are different.

Koyo two row have good reviews.

I concur.

I thought the Koyos were four row. I was shocked when I got mine and it was two, but they're like an inch wide, so there's tons of surface area. Been running one on my LZ22 and it stays at 170* on hot days, even cooler when it's cool out.

• Like 2