710 Leaf Springs

Kathos

Im in the process of finishing up the front suspension on my 710 with T3 coilovers and camber kit on my 280xz struts. Im wondering what options I have for the rear. Currently I have the rear dropped on 3" blocks with some of the bump stops cut (outsides and center) but I cant stand the lumpy rear end bouncing on the highway.
What options do I have to make the rear end work better with the 3" blocks? Id like to get some more space between the rear end and the bump stops to give the springs more distance to work with. The suspension probably only has 1/2" of travel with right now. If I cut more off the bumpstops, the drive shaft starts making noise in the tunnel, but I also dont want to raise the vehicle.

How did you guys make your 3" drop work?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the shocks that need room to work with the springs. Shocks resist sudden movement. Springs carry weight and absorb movement only to release it. The shock slows the sudden compression and release. Once you are against the bump stops the air filled bouncy ball tires are your suspension.

I have 2" blocks and am no where near the bump stops. I also added an extra spring and new shocks to firm them up and reduce travel.

The driveshaft noise is from lowering. This changes the driveshaft angles and the U joints groan and vibrate. The differential needs to be tilted down to the front to restore angularity when the ride height is lowered.

At some point, lowering a vehicle goes beyond sensibleness to improve the driving and handling experience and becomes a fashion statement. More and more it becomes less and less of a car. When you get to this (above).... you've lost sight of why you loved driving your Datsun in the first place. You used to not care but now are more interested in how others see you in it.

• 3 weeks later...

The spring rate in the rear should be decent. Get some GOOD shocks.

Monroe shocks are hunks of shit and i wouldnt even put them on a hay wagon

I ended up with pro pg series steel body rebuildable units with 4/4 valving. I have shortened 200sx front struts with illumina inserts for mr2's. Rides hard but isnt bouncy. The rear is very composed now too.

I have one inch blocks plus my axle tubes are alot bigger now so id say im about 2 inches lower. I was having issues with the driveshaft and the snout of the diff hitting the floor. Turns out it makes a shit ton of axle wrap. Now it has slapper bars on it, the diff and driveshaft never hit now, but the bars drag all over speed bumps cause i only have 13" wheels.