Puffs of white smoke after hard acceleration : (

paradime

My car is an SR20 510 with a Garett GT3071r boosted to 15 psi. I just changed the head gasket (metal Tomei) and the cylinder walls looked clean with fresh honed. We Shot some video of the car today and the chase car said there were puffs of white smoke under high boost. There was a noticeable smell in the cab as well. At this point I'm not sure if it's coming from the exhaust, or under the hood, but if it smelled like that in the cab, I'm leaning towards something in the engine bay. I looked under the hood and saw nothing out of the ordinary. The oil is clean as is the coolant. 

There are two possibilities I can think of, other that oil in the cylinder. Bryan Rebello (the tuner) said he has the fuel mixture very rich, so could be the unburned mixture being flushed on deceleration. It's running on e85 right now, and we filled up at a garage in San Jose we'd never been to before, so maybe the fuel is stale. It could also be wheel spin. The car was being driven by the producer and he wasn't used controlling that much power in a light little car. 

Does anyone else have ideas on what I might check/suspect? 

Thanks 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White smoke is normally coolant. Blue, oil. And black is fuel. Not sure what color corn ends up being when burned.

Is your turbo water cooled or oil?

Both water and oil. I asked the videographer to send me any footage he has that shows the smoke. As soon as I get it I'll post it up. I think corn smoke is rainbow if I'm not mistaken. 

Was the head milled? The head and the block have to be quite immaculate when using an MLS type gasket. Were the stock bolts reused?

Yes, the head was milled, and the block was cleaned with an 6X8" emery granite block. And I used new ARP head bolts.

Do you have a catch can for the block breather? Maybe it's puking oil onto the exhaust.

If you do have one and it's full, drain it and try again. If you don't have one, where does the vapor go?

The catch is not currently connected to the valve cover. It is venting to air right now. I have a heat shield over the exhaust turbine and down pipe, so it's not hitting anything hot and burning off. Actually very little oil in the vent pipe. My brother was in the chase car and said the smoke was white, not blue, but he's not a car guy so...

Stale? If by stale you mean water, E85 will absorb water. Or rather your fuel system will absorb water. Try known good fuel. This is the easiest thing to do.

Stale, as in a cracker absorbs water in the air and becomes stale, so too does e85. 

This morning I was pulling apart things around the turbo and found a big 1 1/2"X1/2" hole burned in the oil drain hose off the turbo to the case. I believe this is the source of the problem, because any case pressure during a hard acceleration would vent out of that hose which is right near the exhaust turbine, the down pipe, and the waste gate. all of those are blistering hot and would incinerate the oil immediately. There was evidence of oil vapor in the area, on top of the steering box bracket and on the strut tower. This would also explain why there's very little oil coming from the catch vent on the valve cover. Off to get a heat shielded hose. 

• Like 3