521 on d21 frame

dat nasty

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't mean that part. The actually axle shafts and pinion.

Remive all the mounts from either and they're both similar, aren't they.

That's what I was thinking too. Use the 521 shafts on the narrowed D21 housing. Add the modern brakes.

Brackets and such are not a big concern. Cut 'em off and add your own.

• Like 2

I didn't mean that part. The actually axle shafts and pinion.

Remive all the mounts from either and they're both similar, aren't they.

Yes. Minus brackets, they are the same.

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking too. Use the 521 shafts on the narrowed D21 housing. Add the modern brakes.

Brackets and such are not a big concern. Cut 'em off and add your own.

That is what this guy I talked to claimed to have done.  He said it all went back together perfectly.  I don't mean to pass along hearsay, but I don't see why he would lie about it.

• Like 2

He has a leaf spring frame, so if the axle is to wide, put the 521 axle on that frame, but that doesn't fix the front end, it will still be to wide and it will look strange.

I just don't see why one would go thru all the work of modifying an axle when one is right there that will work fine. 

I say make what is there work, I have an 86 720 axle on my 520 ute and it works just fine, but I am using 620 disc brake rims.

On an 86 Nissan 720 frame the front two body mounts under the radiator on a 521 are perfect, they align the front wheels in the fender wells perfect, and the engine fits in the engine bay just fine, but that is using L or Z block.

• Like 2

Back to steering columns, is there a way to take the Datsun column out without removing any other steering i.e. Box, arms. I got myself in a pickle with the housing almost to the back window and won't fit through the firewall. The shaft turned out of the box with very coarse thread's a few inches and then locked up

• Like 2

I cut the shaft, but that's when I'm not using the box.

You should be able to use pieces from the 521 and D21 columns to make a hybrid column that fits the truck. Cut the 521 column about 2 inches outside the firewall. Machine a bearing retainer and use the bearing from the D21 column. Machine 2 flats on the 521 shaft and use a u-joint from Borgeson.

I have pics of this process in my 320 balljoint conversion thread.

• Like 1

OK, this is something I found out a few years ago, the 521 column and the 720 non-tilt column have the same size column tube.

So since I was using a 720 wiring harness in my 520 project, and at that time had the cab on a stretched 520 frame(not documented) and was using the 520 steering column, I used the non-tilt 720 steering column hardware(lights/turn signals/wipers/4-way/cover) on the 520 column, and it worked just fine.

So if you need a column that  fits the 520/521 dash mount that already has the rag joint hardware on the engine compartment end, you cannot beat the power steering column, it has the rag joint, then the collapsible part, then the knuckle that connects to the steering gear.

Now if you need the rag joint down on the steering gear, then you just find the non-tilt steering column with no the power steering option, that has the knuckle near the firewall.

Now if your keeping your 520/521 wiring harness, the 521 turn signal assembly/brights activator will bolt right on to the 720 non-tilt column.

These columns are out there right now in wrecking yards, and if you can find the right truck, you can buy a bolt in steering column without having to make or machine anything, that will except your 521 hardware that is adjustable towards or away from the dash, the steering wheel is adjustable to the drivers body size as the column is collapsible in the engine compartment.

I have my 520 and 521 projects on 720 frames, and I use the 720 columns, but since I am using the 720 wiring harnesses, I use the tilt columns which are more difficult to find the correct switch hardware for, but they are way more comfortable for me, the tilt column does not bolt into the 521/520 steering column mount hardware, it has to be cut and drilled to use the column mount blots, and it's not easy to mount.

• Like 1

Very good info, I was debating cutting the column just inside the firewall and using a collapsible I have with 2 u joints. My insterior is not bad so I wanted to leave it stock. if not I'm going to go get a tilt column and put in my digital dash

I don't like messing with the steering, I find stuff that will work the way it is, that is why I posted the info in my last post, it was a bolt in for me on both my 520/521 projects, and the steering column hardware(electrics, cover, steering wheel) were also bolt in whether 520/521 or 720.

But this was with a 720 frame/steering gear, you are using a D21 frame/steering gear which I suspect is the same as the 720, or damned close.

• Like 2

Hey Charlie, if you ever do another 720 wiring harness in a 521, the dash light power likely can be taken from the 720 side marker light circuit, that way they come on with the light switch without having to do all the mods that you did to you instrument cluster, Jacob suggested that to me, I never thought about using that wire in the steering column harness, I just went the easy way and found clean keyed power source.

Wayno is correct.  Keep all the wiring because you will still have the 521 lights, heater, wiper motor. 

I morphed the 720 harness into my 520 cluster.  Took some time but worth it.

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

DSC01167.jpg

• Like 1

I saw that post in you build thread Wayno.  I think that is the yellow red wire.  Not sure.  I am interested in this thread for the wiring and if it fits a easily as on the 720 chassis.

My brother and I have done 11 different columns through out the build on my 520.  it is like riding a bicycle once you do you always remember how.

Hey Charlie, if you ever do another 720 wiring harness in a 521, the dash light power likely can be taken from the 720 side marker light circuit, that way they come on with the light switch without having to do all the mods that you did to you instrument cluster, Jacob suggested that to me, I never thought about using that wire in the steering column harness, I just went the easy way and found clean keyed power source.