Driveline Stuck in Transmission

I have a 1982 datsun 720 regular cab, and i am having the hardest trouble removing my drive-line. I removed the bolts from the differential and got that disconnected and i was trying to pull the drive-line out but it wont come out like it should so i am wondering if i could have some help diagnosing the issue. i was reading some of the other forums and the only possible issue that i could think of is the output shaft has a nylon rubber or something on it so it expanded and wont budge, i am trying to remove it so i can replace the output shaft seal because i have a bad leak. ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT, i have tried getting it out 5 times and still no solution.. so i am just waiting till i get some new ideas to try it again.

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On most other vehicles, when you make changes to the ride height, the driveline length is affected. If you lowered the truck and put in the stock driveline, it may be too long and it may have bottomed out in the trans and got stuck. I don't believe the slip yoke has splines all the way through, so maybe the tailshaft of the trans got jammed into an area of no splines and it's simply stuck.

If you do get it apart, inspect it closely to see if anything got damaged. Bearings inside the trans can get damaged from too much thrust and u-joints don't like it either.

• Like 1

I checked and the trans mainshaft spline ends and the remainder forward is smaller diameter. This only leaves the driveshaft mating spline. I checked this against a spare FS5W71B and yes it obviously will bottom. Only the forces generated by a vehicle would be enough to jam it.

How did you get the differential end off if solidly connected? When unbolted, did the differential suddenly release and shift to the rear?

Well there is only one way for this to come off. The front is too crowded to work on so try the differential end. Some form of slide hammer? Stick something through the rear U joint and strike with a sledge hammer?

• Like 2

My mind automatically goes through all the scenarios when facing a problem like this. Best case, it comes out with a few blows from a 3# sledge hammer. Worst case... slip yoke welded itself to the tailshaft and the only way to get it apart is to use a cutoff wheel to score it and then split it with a chisel.

I like the idea of a slide hammer. You can make one with a length of cable or any piece of steel and use a large sledge hammer head for the sliding hammer. Attaching it to the driveshaft may get tricky though. There may be some sacrifices made, like welding the slide hammer to the slip yoke, etc.

• Like 2

Ideas for removing it from the trans

My mind automatically goes through all the scenarios when facing a problem like this. Best case, it comes out with a few blows from a 3# sledge hammer. Worst case... slip yoke welded itself to the tailshaft and the only way to get it apart is to use a cutoff wheel to score it and then split it with a chisel.

I like the idea of a slide hammer. You can make one with a length of cable or any piece of steel and use a large sledge hammer head for the sliding hammer. Attaching it to the driveshaft may get tricky though. There may be some sacrifices made, like welding the slide hammer to the slip yoke, etc.

• Like 2