411 parts needed

Alsct1

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were no "Factory" stereos.  The 411s were usually sold with "Radio Delete" plates in the dash. leaving the installation of radios / "Stereos" to the delivering dealer.  If you can check the many Wiring postings, you will note no factory provision for "Stereo" installs or even external speakers.  Most 1967 aftermarket radios had a built in speaker, obviously monophonic,  Variations do exist with dual very small and tinny built in speakers.  More common are after market radios with external terminals, leaving it up to you as to where the hell you would mount those Stereo speakers.  Note that the standard rear deck sheet metal does include a cut out for a rear mounted speaker, sans wiring in the factory wiring loom and with no perforations in the cover [or its fiberboard underlay] to allow sound to force its way through.

I guess I'm just missing the delete plate then. Thanks for the information.

There's one in my avatar in case you need a specimen to go for.  BTW, I bought myRL411 with the delete plate, moved to San Bernardino CA and for $17 dollars bought an aftermarket radio with built in speaker!  Worked until the weakness of the variable magnet vs variable capacitor design finally sank in [as in a sudden stop that broke one of the magnetic cores!] A lucky stop at the TRW Radio Club open market yielded an early year Radio Shack unit with integrated speaker [and FM!] which was able to cannibilize with parts from my Japanese semi-original unit and it all fit the original dash opening!

Message?  Be flexible and pay attention, you just might be able to get what you need [maybe not what you want] at a swap meet!

I kept my car for the last 48 years by being attentive to what was possible, not what whas was unobtainable.

Mike im not so sure about that. Late 67's sold as 68's came with a speaker and grille for it on the rear deck with the Datsun D on them. Most radios were dealer installed true but the later cars appear prepped for them no matter what the schematic says. There are dozens of errors in the manuals that is not a guaranteed document in this case