'81 720 tach and turbo

SmoakySnow

i just picked up an '81 Datsun 720 diesel and wanted to get some information about running a tachometer, I've heard that its a bit of a project to get one set up. Also if you have any information about turbocharging the SD22 Engine that would be much appreciated 

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the thing about turbocharging these engines, the SD22 doesn't have turbo pistons, they are just normal pistons, the SD25 does have turbo pistons, as far as I know right now all of them came with turbo pistons even if they were not turbo charged.

The SD33 did have turbo pistons although I don't know what years had them, the SD33 is supposed to be a long SD22 so maybe the pistons are interchangeable, I don't know for sure myself.

I have an SD25 that I turbocharged, it wasn't easy, it was a lot of work, and it still has a couple issues that need to be watched like a hawk, but it is a more powerful engine than it was before, but my mileage has suffered, I have been lucky to get 25mpg so far, but I do drive fast.

Here is a link to that build, but it would be way better for you to actually see the setup to understand what I did.

http://www.nwdatsuns.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1013

• Like 2

After a little advice from Wayno i have this truck ready for the street. Which means it also ready for me to start throwing money at it. First things are a tach and new seats. ill post picture along the way so you guys can proof my work. :thumbup:

• Like 1