Is there a list of donor cars for Matchbox D4K ?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check here under "Donor Sources" for more details:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050308082501/home.att.net/~jason510/Dizzy_FAQ.htm

You probably don't need this info, but it was in my Bookmarks so you get it whether you need it or not  :) :

http://web.archive.org/web/20050308055504/home.att.net/~jason510/dizzy_specs.htm

Len

• Like 1

So will an 1980 210 "A series" dizzy also work on an L16?

However I believe an A-series matchbox dizzy will work if you change the drive gear at the bottom of the shaft for the tang type drive needed for an L-series engine. I have a vague memory of reading that the tang type drive from a points L-series dizzy won't work for this though, you need the tang from an L-series electronic distributor. But I'm just not sure about this. Maybe some else can clarify. If I can find my stray A-series matchbox dizzy I'll put it next to an L16 points dizzy and see if there is an obvious difference in how the two types of drives fit the shaft. 

Len

• Like 1

Yup. Remove the drive gear by punching out the roll pin. 

The '79-'81 (NOT AFTER '81*) 280zx non turbo, also has a matchbox. Remove the stator and rotor and substitute 4 cylinder ones.

L 4 cylinder

Stator... 22115-W5800 (about $12).

Rotor... 22163-H9100 (about $20)

* make sure matchbox module has 12-80 on it NOT 12-93!!!!

• Like 1

datzenmike - Do you know if the L16 points dizzy drive end will fit an A-series matchbox dizzy? I compared the ends on a points dizzy and an L-series matchbox one and they look different but without measuring I can't say they won't do the same job. It is getting too late in the day for me to think that hard. Maybe in the morning I can figure it out.

Len

• Like 1

The end of the first paragraph under "Donor Sources" says you can use an A-series matchbox dizzy by swapping the drive gear for the tang drive from an L-series. What I can't remember is if the tang end from a points L-series dizzy will fit onto an A-series. I'm thinking it won't work but just can't remember. There may be a different shaft size or diameter or location of roll pin hole between points and electronic dizzys. But I'm guessing.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050308082501/home.att.net/~jason510/Dizzy_FAQ.htm

I'll dig through my pile of parts in the morning and see if I can figure it out if no one posts an answer by then.

Len

• Like 1