510 Strut Hub Options

Yes, I agree. But they offer much better braking than 280ZX brakes do. As I said, if 280ZX parts were really going to help me out in a huge way then of course I would consider it. My wheels are not made by Nissan either and my L20B is not a 510 engine. However each offer an element that I could not otherwise have gained through 510 parts. I'd stop going to shows if every car was built in accordance with a recipe and not the individuals personal view of what their car should/could be.

• Like 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're trying to find ways to justify your mistake in purchasing the wrong parts. Own it.

The larger bearings are the main reason. I have blown up the stock 510 wheel bearings and when it happens at speed, it's quite a shock to lose all your steering and have your wheel flopping around in the fender well.

As far as keeping it original...that ship has sailed.

• Like 1

You are right, of course. You are absolutely right. Far be it from me to disagree with someone on this subject that uses stock Toyota Birfield joints on a series 1.

Settle down.

Sounds like you're trying to find ways to justify your mistake in purchasing the wrong parts. Own it.

• Like 1

My Birfields are not stock.

And I don't even want it to be original. It's better with the modifications I've made to it.

There. We've had our first fight. Now let's kiss and make up. I think you'll find a lot of useful information on this site if you're willing to put in the effort to play fair. Opinions can be just as relevant as fact, so if you're posting a question and just looking for facts, you're missing out on a whole separate aspect of whatever the subject matter is. Since forums were invented with the intention of helping people, listen to the opinions offered and take what you want from them. We're all here to help...really.

I meant no disrespect by my comments.

• Like 1

My Birfields are not stock.

And I don't even want it to be original. It's better with the modifications I've made to it.

There. We've had our first fight. Now let's kiss and make up. I think you'll find a lot of useful information on this site if you're willing to put in the effort to play fair. Opinions can be just as relevant as fact, so if you're posting a question and just looking for facts, you're missing out on a whole separate aspect of whatever the subject matter is. Since forums were invented with the intention of helping people, listen to the opinions offered and take what you want from them. We're all here to help...really.

I meant no disrespect by my comments.

Hugs

• Like 1

Will 300zx rotors and 6 piston calipers stop you faster? All things equal, other than calipers and rotors, stopping is a function of tire traction on the road. Lock up is lock up, so going overboard is not necessary to get stopped. There are advantages to having a larger rotor/caliper that sheds heat and resists fade from repeated high speed use. Likewise, a light/lighter rotor/caliper does not add significantly to unsprung weight. Neither are that critical on a street car but nice to brag about.

Then there is what your long range plans for the car are. You can just buy an after market brake set up for around town. But a  zx brake up-grade usually involves replacing the entire strut which comes with the added advantage of better wheel bearings and best of all... being (slightly) lower. If upgrading brakes you most likely won't be staying at stock ride height. Face it, if wanting more brakes you must be expecting to use them more, why else? Speed without handling makes little sense so suspension and ride height changes are in order. This is a great way to avoid shortening your stock strut and expensive coil overs.

If you shop around you can get a set from $100 a side, down to free. Just put new rotors on or turn them and some new pads. Cheap, very effective, available everywhere, all Nissan.  

There's a difference between threshold braking and sustained clamping friction. Bigger brakes will help shed heat faster than smaller brakes.

So even a 12 piston caliper on a 96" rotor could be the ticket on a 1200 lb car, if heating is the thing your concerned with.

The cool factor is definitely part of the decision. But the cooling is a very real consideration also. It's not how fast you go, it's how well you go fast :) At some point, I will be putting in an SR20DET, but not until I know I can start it and finish it in a set amount of time. At that stage the car will be more worthy of the Wilwoods I think. My wife will appreciate it too, she's not a fan of odeur de Datsun (that's another subject - I have Mikuni 44's and they stink).

Its the smell of a mans car, just like two stroke dirtbikes, you know you had fun when you smell like gas afterward. Youre also going to have to ditch the 14s, the t3 website says 15 or bigger to clear the 300mm brake kit.

I agree, smells awesome. Though I'm remarkably tired after a decent drive!

That's not going to happen, my Wats are staying. I've got a pretty good offset on there +3 on 7's on the front so I'm hoping a spacer will do the rest. If not my buddy can keep them! That will leave me looking for new brakes though and as I have dug this "510 struts" hole for myself, my options will be few.

Place an ad in our classifieds for a pair of 510 hubs and run the willwoods. Everything will be fine. No one runs them and there should be lots laying around in garages.

I only mention the 280zx and the Maxima struts and brakes because they are a good option for all the reasons mentioned.

I agree, smells awesome. Though I'm remarkably tired after a decent drive!

That's not going to happen, my Wats are staying. I've got a pretty good offset on there +3 on 7's on the front so I'm hoping a spacer will do the rest. If not my buddy can keep them! That will leave me looking for new brakes though and as I have dug this "510 struts" hole for myself, my options will be few.

I think its the diameter that matters. Im currently working off a set of 15" wats from the keeper, I know what you mean about them going nowhere, theres just something about watanabes on a 510. I find myself lingering within earshot when someone is at datsunville to buy parts, just in case they get too close..."get off my watanabes mofukka!"

Edit: I believe gabe sells watanabes, he could probably help with fitment questions. Hell, if you havent installed the struts yet, ask if you can exchange them.