510 Strut Hub Options

This is my first post and naturally I was planning on this being filled with shiny and not so shiny pictures of my Dime build so far - I will get to that, but first I need your help.

My new coilovers just arrived from T3 on stock 510 struts (I know I know ZX....but I wanted 510 and will be putting Wilwood brakes on there). All this time I thought I had stock struts on there, seems they may be B210 or A10. Either way the hubs I have do not fit the "new" 510 struts. I can't find a pair of stock 510 hubs anywhere so I wanted to reach out and see if anyone either has them, or has suggestions on what other options I have (610, 710?).

Any info is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have 510 struts only 510 hubs will fit them I believe. Most everything after the 510  had a larger wheel bearing and spindle. The 610 made before June '73 had the older small bearing but the hub? It would likely fit the 510 spindle but who knows where this would position the rotor????

You have T3 coil overs on stock 510 struts... so just swap them over to the struts you have now.

New struts are 510,, struts in/ came out of car are what he's asking about.

If you ordered 510 struts and they are not 510 struts call them up and say something.

Welcome to Datsun.

Split collars would ha e save you money by and allowed you spend all that coilover money on other project tidbits.

I'm confused then.

If you removed 510 struts,got 510 struts back...where did the hub's from the 510 struts go?

Or are you saying 210 struts were installed before you took them apart?

Back to the split collar argument being the viable option then.

I assume these are the old 'unknown struts? Take a look and get me the part number, looks like a right hand side. Starts 54300-????? (54301 LH side) Maybe I can identify them. Number stamped up neat top.

WP_20160709_19_52_55_Pro_zpsvojj7i8d.jpg

Measure between the caliper mounting bolt holes. PL510 and later A10 are the same at 76mm. The zx and S110 (200sx) are much larger at 89mm.

• Like 1

Measure between the caliper mounting bolt holes. PL510 and later A10 are the same at 76mm. The zx and S110 (200sx) are much larger at 89mm.

FYI, the PL510 struts do not have the little clip for the brake line pictured here. That is a dead giveaway that they are not from a PL510. 

• Like 1

Personal preference. As I will be using wilwood brakes, there really are no beneifts to using the 280ZX struts other than them being newer than the 510 struts, and as these have been reconditioned and tested that does not factor.

Not true.

I had a growly wheel bearing on my Maxima struts.... went out back and got a set from my old 710 struts. Can't do that with a 510.

ZX are also shorter and pull the wheel in 3/4" per side for more clearance. Calipers and rotors are at any NAPA, anywhere.

• Like 1

I have 14" Wats, I don't need much clearance and also have camber plates for any fine adjustment required. I can't get replacement Wilwood calipers or rotors at NAPA. I understand why 280ZX struts are a great swap, they are just not what I was looking for. My preference for 510 parts is along the same lines as someone who values a matching numbers car over a car of equal quality but with an engine from another car of the same model. If 280ZX parts were really going to help me out in a huge way then of course I would condsider it. But a bearing is cheap, easy to replace and readily available. I don't drive old cars because it saves me money.