Gritty windshield fix

Guys,

If you have gritty windshield or windows, I came across a fix that has the Ratsun virtues of being fast, cheap and effective.

I used 0000 steel wool.  I bought a bag at O'Reilly's for $4.  There's enough steel wool that i won't have to that again for the rest of my life.  In any event, I took one of the pads and beginning in the corner of my windshield, just started rubbing.  It does NOT scratch the glass at all.  No water or other lube that might cause it to rust, just the steel wool back and forth with minimum pressure.  The results were immediate and fantastic.  I ended up doing all the windows. They are slick and gleam like brand new.

To finish up, I blew the tiny wool residue off the surrounding paint.  I applied Rain-X to the windows and wiped the wiper blades with some as well.  Why? because one, I still have the original 2-Speed wiper motor (Slow and Slower) and two, with only 6" of rain per year, I am statistically unlikely to need more than a good bead-up and could avoid trying to deploy the wipers in the first place.  

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Done this with SOS pads too. Takes tree sap and bugs right off. A layer of Rain-x helps make the bugs come off easier for the next time. On the Canby trip I found the bugs wiped right off with water and squeegee when gassing up. Do the headlamps too. NOT PLASTIC

Guys,

If you have gritty windshield or windows, I came across a fix that has the Ratsun virtues of being fast, cheap and effective.

I used 0000 steel wool.  I bought a bag at O'Reilly's for $4.  There's enough steel wool that i won't have to that again for the rest of my life.  In any event, I took one of the pads and beginning in the corner of my windshield, just started rubbing.  It does NOT scratch the glass at all.  No water or other lube that might cause it to rust, just the steel wool back and forth with minimum pressure.  The results were immediate and fantastic.  I ended up doing all the windows. They are slick and gleam like brand new.

To finish up, I blew the tiny wool residue off the surrounding paint.  I applied Rain-X to the windows and wiped the wiper blades with some as well.  Why? because one, I still have the original 2-Speed wiper motor (Slow and Slower) and two, with only 6" of rain per year, I am statistically unlikely to need more than a good bead-up and could avoid trying to deploy the wipers in the first place.  

And a hell of a lot cheaper [pardon, inexpensive] than the "classic" cerium oxide approach!   0000steel wool is also available at furniture refinishing and wood working dealers. And Hardware stores like Home Depot.  Just might cost less that O'Reilliy's.

Guys,

And for the survivalists, the left over fine steel wool is the best fire starter you will ever need!  It will light up wet wood.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...