Lowering my b210

charolastra

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes

You will need to cut the zx lower spring perches off (they and the zx coil spring are way too wide to fit the B-210 anyway) and smooth the strut tube. Trim the B-210 lower spring perches off also and mount them and the B-210 spring onto the zx strut tube. Support the spring perch underneath with split collars that make this adjustable. About $25 total.

I would advise you to trim the B-210 coil spring to increase the spring rate. First the stock spring (any stock spring) are somewhat 'soft' from the factory and generally a slightly stiffer spring gives better ride and control. A firmer spring reduces suspension travel.. a very good idea on a lowered car that has exhaust even closer to the pavement than before. There are formula for working out your current spring rate and you can work out how much to remove to get the rate you want. You would be selecting a spring rate if you were buying coil overs anyway. I did this and increased mine about 50% to 175 lb/in from the stock 100.

For the rear it's even easier. Get drop blocks or make them so the rear drop matches the front. Won't hurt to add a leaf to the leaf pack to add spring rate.

Yes the b110 top hats are shorter but also use a different size bolt for mounting (8mm vs 10am on the b210) and the bushing will be the wrong size for the 280zx struts so it is not a completely 100% swappable part. If you use a stock top mount you will probably run into more issues than it would be worth. Camber plates are the way to go. Drill and remount the correct size studs get a shop to make you the correct size bushing for the shaft and bearing, done.

• Like 1

Use the B210 top hat with the 280zx struts or any of the camber plates for the 510 will also work. As far as lowering, methods that work on the 510 work fine on the B210. Easy no welding way is carefully cut the bottom spring perchs off the B210 struts, a circumferental cut just above the weld is quick and easy. You can then just slide the B210 perch and have it sit in the 280zx perch. Flip the struts right to left so the brake caliper sits to the front, use 280zx brake soft lines. Use the B210 springs and cut the number of coils you desire off and use the B210 top hat. Remember to realign the wheels afterwards. I would also suggests roll center adjusters if you can and make sure your wheels will clear the caliper and mount to the struts, 13s sometimes don't for instance, and a few 14s have a center hole that is to small.

• Like 1

Do not randomly cut coils. There is an easy way to work out a spring's rate with a few measurements and some multiplying and dividing. One of the factors is the number of coils on the spring, so by changing this you can see what 1/2 or one coil removed does to increase the rate before you cut..

Never cut springs to lower a vehicle. Remove the zx spring perch and grind away the weld. This will allow the B-210 perch to slide up and down to find the height you want. Support the zx perch an a split collar.

Once cut, you can't go back if they are too stiff.

Do not randomly cut coils. There is an easy way to work out a spring's rate with a few measurements and some multiplying and dividing. One of the factors is the number of coils on the spring, so by changing this you can see what 1/2 or one coil removed does to increase the rate before you cut..

Never cut springs to lower a vehicle. Remove the zx spring perch and grind away the weld. This will allow the B-210 perch to slide up and down to find the height you want. Support the zx perch an a split collar.

I respectfully disagree with you here with regard to the B210. Yes you are technically right. Cutting randomly, yes that's bad, but I've run this exact setup and actually went with stiffer springs later anyways. So I know empirically that what I described works quite well.

Here's why:

On the B210 the stock springs are substantially longer than the stock ZX springs and ridiculously soft. If you just cut the B210 springs to the same length as the zx springs it really isn't even noticeable for normal or even spirited driving. I know others have cut them even shorter.

Are you putting the B-210 springs on the zx spring perches? I wouldn't think they would fit. The zx perches are huge diameter. If running B-210 perches then grind the zx welds off and use split collars to make them adjustable.

I'm just saying that the chance of getting the ride height AND the spring rate correct for what you want is very unlikely. It could happen but if you like very low it will be very stiff and once it's too stiff you can't put coils back on.

Find where you like the ride and adjust the split collars up or down to set the ride height.

Let me see if i follow this...I have a stock B210. The rear suspension is hard as a rock. I once tried to bounce the rear end by pushing down on the bumper with my kneee...ended up denting the bumper.

The front suspension is SUPER soft. I'd like to lower it about an inch. Based on what i remember from past threads on this topic, I thought you could cut some spring to achieve both a lower front and a stiffer ride. Is that not the case?

Thanks much!

The problem is, in order to get the ride height where you want it the spring is so short the rate may be too stiff for your liking. Not to mention cutting assembling and checking, taking off and apart and cutting again... and again...

Sit the cut off B210 spring perches inside the zx spring perches.

Yes but they won't be adjustable. Only costs $25  to make them that way.

• Like 1

Spring rate on the B210 is ~90lb/in very close to that of the 510 and basically the same as the earlier lighter B110. You have a lot of room in making them a bit shorter and therefore stiffer before ride comfort suffers noticeably. Stock height varies a bit per year with the '74 being the shortest ~14 to14.7 inches.

280zx springs are 12-12.8 inches depending on model and 126lb/in. 150lb/in on a B210 front with 280zx struts is pretty good without being too harsh.

So cutting ~2 inches off (about 1.5 coils or so) matches the strut travel well and results in a conservative increase in stiffness.

Dmike, I think those collars have gone up in price a bit. Last time I priced them out a couple of years ago it was closer to 50$ for a set and they weren't the easiest things to get (had to be ordered). If anyone has a link to a cheaper good quality set please post it here, I was having the best luck with Fastenal, and I will need to order some later.