Datsun 620/l16 coolant (?) Hose questions

Last year I replaced my exhaust manifold and before i could finish reinstallation , it god bad outside and I haven't touched it until recently. I work a lot. Anyway I have two questions here, one hose I have comes from the block and I can't figure out where that is supposed to go. And the other is a nipple coming from the thermostat that I can't find anywhere online. Please help. Thank you

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Photobucket account is marked private.

On the '73 and '74s, the block vent is a 1 1/2" pipe coming straight out of the block between the exhaust manifold runners. It has a rubber hose connecting it to the PCV valve on the intake manifold. There will be a smaller tube on the side of the block vent and a small hose to the flow guide valve on the driver's side inner fender.

The nipple on the thermostat housing is likely for the coolant by-pass hose. It joins with one from the intake (just in front and below the carb) and is piped down across the front of the engine to the lower rad hose inlet to the timing cover.

• Like 1

I believe the album was made public. The pcv valve is under the carb? I believe I found it but my hose is too short -_- I uploaded a pic of the nipple I believe to be the pcv valve you're referring to . also the coolant bypass hose goes from the left side of the block all the way around to the carb? Or to the thermostat?

2016-07-07_07.36.06_zpskfctdoah.jpg

Frigging hate links, takes forever... This is the coolant by pass on the thermostat housing. It should join with another hose and hard line coming from between the intake runners just to the right front of the carb. (probably that large long hose coming from that area) There should be a metal pipe coming from the lower rad hose inlet up across the front of the engine to beside the distributor to a Y. One hose to the by-pass and the other to the intake.

2016-07-07_07.36.53_zpsl8xdsyhd.jpg

2016-07-07_07.37.20_zps2ytyxap8.jpg

Block vent hose (home made) looks like L16/L18 set up. Hose goes to PCV valve that is screwed into intake manifold on left side or slightly to the rear below the carb.

Take a picture showing the base and below the carb where the throttle cable is. Post the image code so we can all see it.

Yes, first picture has a short 2" hose to a metal pipe that goes up and across front of engine and under distributor where the By-pass hose Ts into it then continues to near the carb where another short hose connects to the intake. 

Yes, The last two pictures join the block vent to the PCV valve.

I guess you mean a 'coolant recovery bottle'?? The '78 had coolant recovery bottle and perhaps as early as the '75 when the newer L20Bs came out but the L16/18 didn't. You can install one for the price of a container, (even an energy drink can although a sealed vented container is better) some hose and the special rad cap. A properly running cooling system with coolant recovery will require virtually no topping up of the rad.

Find an L16/18 or an L20B made for a '78 and up. These will have the hoses and the metal pipe. The intake fitting is larger than the metal pipe so the hose is larger on one end smaller on the other. The bottom hose on the rad return fitting is the same. (figures) 

Best just get or make something that works.