Electric fuel pump suitable for a stock '73 610 station wagon.

I still hope to some day get my wife's 610  running again. I have an old Fiat with an electric fuel pump and it has worked perfectly for over thirty years. I have had problems with the mechanical fuel pumps I have bought for my wife's 610. A carb shop said, if I want to go with an electric pump, I need to get an electric pump and a pressure regulator. I have not been able to find a forum thread about how to select and install (wire) an electric fuel pump. Unfortunately, cost is a concern for me, (I do not need a high performance expensive hot rod pump).

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Facet brand pumps have an excellent reputation here on ratsun. Wiring is simple. Positive and negative is all.

Fuel pressure regulator can be purchased at oreilly or wherever. Just need a low pressure one. Around 35 bucks for that at O'Reilly. Goes in line right before the carb.

• Like 2

The stock Nissan pumps are the best. After market stuff... not so good. Try a wrecking yard for an old one. Probably $15 and as old as that Fiat one, and no wiring.

Look for a pump that makes 3.0 to 3.8 PSI and you won't need a regulator. Preferably mount as low an close to the tank as possible. It will work in the engine bay but the former is better. Wire into the idle cut solenoid so it's on and of with the key.

• Like 2

How/where do I get a stock Datsun fuel pump for a 1973 Datsun 610 station wagon? I like the idea of a real Datsun pump. I had bought a generic pump for the '73 Datsun at my small local auto parts store, but it doesn't work, plus the arm to the cam lobe is mis-aligned and is slightly scratching the face of the gear the lobe is on. I did crank the engine, but I could not detect any gas getting to the carb (I then did take off the fuel hose at the carb and there was still no flow out of the pump).  I then connected fuel hoses to the in of the pump (this hose went to a large tin can with gas positioned next to the block) and fuel hose to the out of the pump (this hose went down to a large can below). I cranked the engine for quite awhile, but no gas flowed. 

• Like 1

try the dealer

or rockauto.com

partstrain.com

well see if any pump is working first I guess. I don't know how long the car sat.

I seen were I had a nice stock pump work and pulled out then wpulnt work later. Maybe it cracked.

I seen old hoses crack in the intake and would suck air instead of gas.

other L motor stock pumps will fit just the inlet/outlet location might be slightly different.

the fuel pump eccentric is oblonged so the pump arm will move but Im sure you know this.

use the spacer that is orginal or a aftermarket opump usually come with a white one also with gaskets

• Like 1

Here is a link to a facet fuel pump I use on my Datsun and Nissan trucks.  3.5PSI no regulator needed.  I always run a return line to the tank if there is not a factory one.

FACET%20PRO%2060FEP%2060SV%20FUEL%20PUMP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172208651828?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is a stock L20B return line with the metered orifice in the return line.  The metered orifice allows back pressure to be built up to keep the float bowl filled at all times.

L%20Engine%20Fuel%20Line%20with%20Return

Here is a 720 Z24 return line with the metered orifice in the return line.

720%20Z24%20%20Engine%20Fuel%20Line%20wi

• Like 1

FACET%20PRO%2060FEP%2060SV%20FUEL%20PUMP

These also look identical to the 720 pumps. They are mounted on the rear frame forward of the RR tire and in a box. You can barely hear them just before start up. On a car they are likely mounted inside with the tank so more noticeable.

• Like 1

I am quite overwhelmed by the complexity (complex to me) of all the electrical/fuel connections for an electric fuel pump. Since my Fiat is right next to the Datsun, I disconnected the fuel line on the Fiat (just before the carb) and connected a line to the fuel intake of the Datsun carb. I turned the key for several seconds. There was definitely gas being pumped (I did not have the hose clamp on the Datsun carb tightened enough at first)! I tightened the connections so there weren't any leaks. But  I couldn't see any gas filling the sight glass in front. Then I worked the throttle, there is no squirt of gas from the accelerator pump. Since the Datsun carb has no return fuel line like the Fiat does, I don't know if this is causing a problem of fuel getting into the carb. Can there be air in a carb that blocks fuel from going in? Did I hurt the Datsun? Could I have hurt or weakened the Fiat's fuel pump? After I reconnected the Fiat's fuel line, It started and ran just fine.

What should I do or check on the Datsun now?

Could a blockage to fuel going into the Datsun's carb damage a mechanical fuel pump?

• Like 1

I have had problems with the mechanical fuel pumps I have bought for my wife's 610.

Did any of them work????

If the answer is no, then maybe there is a blockage between the pump and the carb.

Maybe the needle valve is stuck or plugged.

Maybe the float is stuck not allowing the needle valve to open and let gas in.

• Like 1

Yes, two months ago I put about eight gallons of gas in the tank

Re:

Did any of them [mechanical fuel pumps] work???? Yes, but the car was sitting for a year since the last carb rebuild. It hadn't been driven for ten years.

Maybe the needle valve is stuck or plugged.

Maybe the float is stuck not allowing the needle valve to open and let gas in. There is gas in the view glass almost half way up. No matter what I had done this level has not changed. Since the car has sat so long, I wonder if something is stuck or plugged. Is there anything I can do? I do not feel comfortable with taking the carb apart. I guess that this means I have to pay a couple hundred bucks again? Since this carb has been rebuilt twice should I even think of another rebuild or do I need to consider buying a new carb? It is CA smog exempt, so I guess I could use any carb. Cost is a very real concern for us though.

I read through the thread about the 710 not getting gas. Very similar to my situation. A year ago, after I had the carb rebuilt by CARB X in El Monte (about ten years earlier I had it rebuilt by Pacific Carb),  I too had hooked up a sort of hanging IV bottle filled with gas (at that time I had no gas in the tank). The engine started and ran fine. I tried that setup last month but it didn't work. That's why yesterday I tried the connection of the fuel line of the Fiat's electric fuel pump.

Then I unbolted the gas line input tube assembly from the top of the rebuilt carb, There was  no little strainer. This makes me question the rebuild.

• Like 1

if you pour a little gas down the barrel of the carb the car might start. Let us know if it does that much.  YES, starts easily.

if the gas level is half way to 3/4 then I say that is good The gas level is a bit less than halfway up in the sight glass.

does it squirt gas in the barrell when you cycle the linkage? it should as you say there is gas in there!!!!!!!! NO, there is not the slightest squirt of gas even if I pump it.

• Like 1

I'm going to jump in here and totally agree with the stock fuel pump crew.  The electric pump and regulator of unknown type in my 72 510, caused no end of trouble, eventually being choked with deposits and residue from the gas around here.  After struggling for a long time, about two months ago, I replaced it with a mechanical pump for an L20b from O'Reilly and other than not tightening the clamp on the fuel line enough, have not had any problems with it. It starts right up even after two weeks of not running.  The mechanical pump seems fine for my two Weber DCOE 40s.

I did add a fuel filter between the tank and the pump.  I intend to diligently check this as a maintenance item.  I highly recommend the mechanical pump and strongly suggest the filter..

My new mantra is the "The most reliable Datsun is a stock Datsun."

• Like 1

If it starts easily and has gas in the window then the pump must be working.

Gas in the carb should run but no guarantee. Jet could be plugged. Accelerator pump appears to not be working.

• Like 1

does this start by itself???????? Not pouring gas in to it????

If it dont start by its self whith choke on and pumping the gas(accell pump then maybe a main jet is plugged.

If I think right the choke will let the main jet to suck more gas(when its cold) to get the motor  started and going. Now if this is plugged I guess this could be it. But I think the 2nd jet would suck some gas also .

If it runs when you pour gas from the top. I can surely say YOu have a carb proplem!!!!!!!!!!!