Smoke through steering column

jboulukos

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BY wire from the starter solenoid looks like it goes into something and then disappears.

IMG_5738.jpg

Looks like, from the ignition, the wire goes to "Starter Motor."  Is this the one I want?  Not certain because I understand the wire to be headed to the starter solenoid. 

IMG_5739.jpg

16 or even 14 gauge would work and to spare. I would just disconnect the old Black/Yellow and tape the ends and run a new dedicated wire from the ignition switch to the starter. You could even cut the ends off the old wire and join them the the new wire so they fit back perfectly.

• Like 1

16 or even 14 gauge would work and to spare. I would just disconnect the old Black/Yellow and tape the ends and run a new dedicated wire from the ignition switch to the starter. You could even cut the ends off the old wire and join them the the new wire so they fit back perfectly.

Ok 16 gauge wire, cut off the starter solenoid connector and put on to end of new wire, tape off old wire end.  On the ignition side, cut black/yellow wire just after it leaves the first connector plastic piece (so the ignition switch side will be intact), attach new wire to old black/yellow wire and try to start.  If it works, then route the wire from under the dash/firewall (how do I know where it goes????) and solder both wire connections.

Is this correct?  

Do I need to take dash face off? dash pad off?  carpet off?

Where to obtain 16 gauge wire?  Napa?  Is the wire specific to automobiles?

Will this method require me to carry a small fire extinguisher in my trunk?  I'm partly joking by not really.  It's very unsettling when stuff inside the car and under the hood starts smoking.

• Like 1

Any auto supply should have the wire you need. Tape or zip tie it up out of the way. It doesn't have to follow the harness as this would be very difficult but be sure that it is protected and not in the way of anything.

Fires are rare and everything is (or is from the factory) protected by fuses or fusible links. Your blown fusible link is testament to this. Only owners go around these safety devices. 

• Like 1

Ok 16 gauge wire, cut off the starter solenoid connector and put on to end of new wire, tape off old wire end.  On the ignition side, cut black/yellow wire just after it leaves the first connector plastic piece (so the ignition switch side will be intact), attach new wire to old black/yellow wire and try to start.  If it works, then route the wire from under the dash/firewall (how do I know where it goes???? It goes to the starter Just run alon the harness through the firewall and ziptie it to the harness, you might even label it so the next owner has an idea of what happened) and solder both wire connections.

Is this correct?  Yes, use heat shrink to insulate the connection. Don't forget to sleeve it onto the wire before making the connection lol.  

Do I need to take dash face off? dash pad off?  carpet off? nope, you should be able to route the wire without much work

Where to obtain 16 gauge wire?  Napa?  Is the wire specific to automobiles? Any auto parts store will have what you need

Will this method require me to carry a small fire extinguisher in my trunk?  I'm partly joking by not really.  It's very unsettling when stuff inside the car and under the hood starts smoking. I'm a big fan of fire extinguishers, I try to carry one in all my old cars..... reminds me that I need to grab a couple more. 

You never know when an extinguisher will come in handy. It might not even be your fire that you end up putting out. :)

So I first tested the starter wire bypass with the fusible link wire out the hood and to the ignition via the driver's window.  Thing fired right up so I put it up on the ramps to inspect the route of the harness from the starter.  Couldn't really figure out where to go with it down there so instead went from starter solenoid to upper firewall along the route of the windshield fluid tubing, through the plastic loops, past the brake master cylinder and into the drivers side cabin via the hole for the hood release cable.  I used a 16 gauge black wire, soldered on the same size spade connector as the fusible link and it fits nicely on the male end of the starter solenoid.  For the ignition connection, I used a connector that crimps closed.  I may revisit it and solder instead however it's pretty tight in there and other wires are close by.  Went for a spin to fill up on gas and all is well now.  Here's some pics.  Thanks for walking me through all this.  

starter solenoid to starter wire connection

IMG_5756.jpg

test run using the long fusible link wire I had

IMG_5754.jpg

up on ramps

IMG_5753.jpg

starter wire coming up just to the left of the fuel filter and heading along the firewall to the driver's side

IMG_5757.jpg

starter wire going through hood release hole to gain access to cabin under the dash

IMG_5758.jpg

parting shot.  taillight surrounds painted 

IMG_5759.jpg