A couple z24 questions

scooter

Is the rod journal diameter the same as ka24 rods? Is the width of the big end the same? Im curious because im intrested in making an lz using a z24 block. One reason is i can use "off the shelf" aftermarket ka rods and pistons.

Also, does a l series oilpan still fit on a z24?

And one last thing, has anyone had any failures of master links from extending the chain to be able to use an L head?

Ive been playing with this idea because my 2.3 only has shot peened and arp bolted l20b rods and i may be using alot more nitrous in the future

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why KA rods??? The Z24 rods are much beefier that the KA rods. Build the Z24 and stick an L head on it. 2.4 liters and better breathing. Compression with open chamber L head is 9.47, closed chamber head is 10.

Or KA pistons???

KA pistons will still fit on the Z24 rods but check the width of the Z24 rod small end. Compression with KA pistons and open chamber L head is 11.29 and closed chamber is just over 12. This is insanely high and you will need aviation fuel  

Because crower billet connecting rods for ka24's.. It would be a all balls out thing. Many companies make forged ka pistons that are on the shelf.

For the top end id use the head off my "nasty ass lz23".

Just looking for an easy solution without having to get custom rods and pistons made. The lz23 has cp flat tops in it but didnt cough up the extra cash for custom rods. It allready has a 75 shot on it, but i want to build a bottom end that can handle a 200 shot without breaking a rod.

If the big end of a ka rod is narrower than a z24 then its not really going to work well.

I guess ill just get a set of rods custom made for the lz23 the next time its out.. Maybe some new slugs too and take a little bit of compression out of it

And mike, the 2.3 is 12.3:1.... Gets nothing but great smelling avgas ;)