Poly vs Rubbers

I'm finally pulling my motor/ trans to see what all is wrong with wagon. Haven't had a spot to do a large project sence I picked up the 411 almost 3 years ago. I've been dealing with the little and big issues as they come and more or less putting band aids on shit.

Ok the question, I would like to hear what experiences you all have had using rubber mounts, bushings for everything Applicable VS

Polyurethane . Pros , cons?

More vibes? Less vibes etc.

thanx

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a buddy get poly engine and transfer mounts. If you trust your car to not rattle apart go with it but yeah, the vibrations were intense when he first put them in. I didn't like it

Poly bushings I don't have enough experience with but I've heard they squeek when they rub add on twist as well as the rubber ones do. So I still say go with rubber

• Like 2

Rubber is compliant. (it gives) It grips both moving parts and twists internally and has superior vibration isolation. Polly is a 'racing' thing where compliance is not wanted on suspension and steering parts for a firmer more direct input. Vibration isn't an issue when racing. Polly cannot grip two moving parts or grips to a much lesser degree because of it's inherent firmness and lack of flexibility, thus it will wear and or squeak. Again, this is not an issue with a race car that gets regular replacements and maintainance. Tension rods are the worst place for a polly bushings. The tension rod must swing up and down and a polly bushing resists this and can cause unwanted flexing and metal fatigue failure. Only place I would use them, are the sway bar bushings. No one needs polly on non racing applications driven on the street any more than they need a spoiler or hood pins.

• Like 2

Dang . I'm sure glad I asked. I was going to do the ES. I guess back to the drawing board.

Got a custom ish project. I.e. Fixing PO /crack heads craftsmanship.

Almost think i should find the original 1600 for the wagon .

I'll post pictures of the project and do a build thread for any custom

Steeze that might help.

Thanks.

We're would one find rubber bushings?

The answer to everything lol. There's a place in Portland that does custom

Rubber. I'm gonna go there a poke around a bit, see if I can't score some throw away chunks.

This heat kicked my ass today. Didn't get shit done.

Next weekend though, it's goin down .

It would help to provide the part number if possible. Many parts like that are interchangeable for many years, and other models. Where you'd find the part # for a 411 is beyond me. not my barrio.  

• Like 1

It would help to provide the part number if possible. Many parts like that are interchangeable for many years, and other models. Where you'd find the part # for a 411 is beyond me. not my barrio.

it's a custom job. The PO hacked the mount so I'm stuck with fanning my own. But it's kinda nice cause I can do it clean and know it's just one more thing to check off th list.
  • Like 1

got ya. I'm gonna also check the reckon g yard too. I figure if the bushings are round, I could probably use for both motor mounts and body

Mounts. Once I get some worthy pictures, I'll post them just share my project with you guys. It's definitely a project lol .

Man I tell ya auto part store clerks don't know as much as they think they do.

I'm gonna have to get my rubber from a junkyard.

You have to know more than the clerk to get what you want. The only thing they know is how to type in the part #, or go the long way around aka, year, make, model, part. Not likely their data base include a mid 60s Datsun 411. Poke around for a while and you may find the part #s for those bushings. 

The older guys are idiots too. Went to GM dealership and ask for "AC Delso Synchromesh Transmission fluid part number #8902...' What's it for!!! "Doesn't matter it's #8902180..." Does matter. You can't use that in any transmission, ya know. I know. #89021...." Have to know what it's going into. ....... " '76 710 Datsun...................................................

Went across the street to Lordco was $4 cheaper. 

• Like 2

I finally found some from . The dude was like , feel free to start opening boxes. Can't recall what they are for but$20 and bam!

You really do have to get creative with these things but that's what makes it special. Still getting pictures .

Then I'll post. Probably going to drive it for awhile once the it's done before

I start the next faze . It's caused some disruption. So gotta chew it of bits at a time.

Next faze will be channeling the ass end to ad bags and drop that thing but with optional ride

Heights. And smooth ride.

Then on to tie rods, ends and bushing.

Maybe the poly would be a good pick for those items ?

Tie rods just have ball joints on the ends, don't they? If you mean the tension rods that run from the fronts back to each front wheel.. ABSOLUTELY NOT. These must be rubber so they can articulate without the rod flexing. 

• Like 1

Yes . I spoke in general regarding the front end of the wagon I.e. Body mounts swaybar . But I'm getting the consensus that poly is just out all around. Lol

I can seem a little jumbled at times. Work long hours as a welder and steel fitter .

Mike that also reminds me to Check my upper drive side ball joint. I think it's wallowed out.