Mt Shasta

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a few people that go.. It used to be all cars... then they made it a roadster only event.. and I think last year they reopened it to all cars. Not sure it's picked up steam again. Maybe?

Mt shasta shut down years ago...around 10 now i think?  maybe 8ish?    I used to go every year.  Started as a roadster thing,  then the 510 guys took it over, fucked the roadster guys, so roadster guys started their own show in the city around the same time.  Then the 510 guys ran it into the ground, then the lodge wanted WAY to much money due to changing ownership and it just ended, the roadster guys never stopped, and they are afraid  of others trying to take over their show again like what happend in the past.   My dad and i used to hang with the roadster guys and they really hated the 510 guys and z guys for what they had done, but this was all years ago.   From what i know its now on a downtown city street.  I need to go down there one year.  Was planning on this year but im going to canada for the canada show in august and that will take all my funds. 

Mt shasta shut down years ago...around 10 now i think?  maybe 8ish?    I used to go every year.  Started as a roadster thing,  then the 510 guys took it over, fucked the roadster guys, so roadster guys started their own show in the city around the same time.  Then the 510 guys ran it into the ground, then the lodge wanted WAY to much money due to changing ownership and it just ended, the roadster guys never stopped, and they are afraid  of others trying to take over their show again like what happend in the past.   My dad and i used to hang with the roadster guys and they really hated the 510 guys and z guys for what they had done, but this was all years ago.   From what i know its now on a downtown city street.  I need to go down there one year.  Was planning on this year but im going to canada for the canada show in august and that will take all my funds. 

rodneyking.jpg

• Like 1

I was there in 2000 maybe 2001 can't recall exactly,I met Bleach that year is all I can recall, only time I ever spent any time in the pnw. I had a great time driving around in my friends 240 is really the most I can remember along with the great scenery. If I can't find a pretty significant get together on my side this summer I'm coming out to create havoc with you guys. This is really lame in the East these days especially the southeast.

• Like 1

rodneyking.jpg

You got to remember this was in the 90's. When z car guys were considered assholes,  and 510's were getting very very popular.  All the cool guys were 510 owners, the dicks were z car owners, and the laid back people were roadster owners,  and fuck anything besides those 3 lol. 

• Like 1

He pops into the admin section on occasion. :)

You got to remember this was in the 90's. When z car guys were considered assholes,  and 510's were getting very very popular.  All the cool guys were 510 owners, the dicks were z car owners, and the laid back people were roadster owners,  and fuck anything besides those 3 lol. 

Ya the more times change, the more they stay the same :lol: 

• Like 1

Mt shasta shut down years ago...around 10 now i think?  maybe 8ish?    I used to go every year.  Started as a roadster thing,  then the 510 guys took it over, fucked the roadster guys, so roadster guys started their own show in the city around the same time.  Then the 510 guys ran it into the ground, then the lodge wanted WAY to much money due to changing ownership and it just ended, the roadster guys never stopped, and they are afraid  of others trying to take over their show again like what happened in the past.   My dad and i used to hang with the roadster guys and they really hated the 510 guys and z guys for what they had done, but this was all years ago.   From what i know its now on a downtown city street.  I need to go down there one year.  Was planning on this year but im going to canada for the canada show in august and that will take all my funds. 

I beg to differ.

We. the 510 guys, were hired to expand the event by the Roadster guys. Actually I was contacted by the Roadster group to host an autocross and rally without them even knowing I was a 510 guy.

Personally, I owned a Roadster in the 60's until the twins outgrew the package shelf and currently still own 3 Z cars along with my many 510s and a 1200, whatever all that is worth.

The idea was that the event would grow from a show only to a festival that would have each event hosted by a different group and club.

It did and didn't work. Sharing is a concept supposedly learned in Kindergarten.

Any way, the Roadster guys and Z guys all left the second year after a fight over who would get the front row at the group picture. Neither would try the share thing. Peggy stepped in and broke up what was going to be a fist fight. No one was mistreated and nothing was taken, the group concept was abandoned by the Roadsters and Z clubs. The Roadsters simply continued their show in town, it never ended.

When the Roadster group bailed we chose to keep the thing running. This required us [Peggy and Dennis] to come up with all of the money, insurance, site arrangements, programs, meal negotiations, and so on. It is a really big deal to do all of this stuff. We did all of this out of our personal time and pocket, no "sharing". No cheating the roadster guys who declined to participate in the event they had requested us to help with.

We kept the thing running on that initial significant "investment" for nearly 15 years until we simply ran out of money. We thought folks would come back and pay to help the event survive if they liked it, but most folks wanted a "free" event and it sort of worked that way until we ran out of money. Peggy and I were unable to put up the capital to keep going. It was too much work now.

I don't think we took anything away from anyone, the Roadsters always had their little show and the idea of a festival enjoyed and supported by all was the "casualty". We had fun and felt our vacation money had been well spent over the years.

We did go back to Shasta a few years ago to see about a revival, but the SkiPark still was way too expensive to work anywhere like it used to, and the Datsun groups remain separated, and the SkiPark wanted 200 meals prepaid, and so on.

Sorry folks feel cheated, they ain't getting their "justice" here.

Dennis

• Like 6

Dennis let me take this opportunity to thank you for making my only trip to the pnw such a good time. When I was there it seemed everyone was getting along and having a great time, I surely was. Thanks again for putting on such a great show, it really sucks that it had to end

• Like 2

The truth is I rather quickly tired of the whole show part of the event and really liked the autocross part, then the track days at Thunderhill added enough for me to keep the thing going long after the show was losing money. The show part was really run by Lynn Mulkey just so I would keep the thing going for at least the second half of the running. The show folks always complained that they had to subsidise the autocross, as if the rent on the site was influenced by the activity held. Shows require trophies and trophies cost money guys, and the SkiPark cost the same no matter what we did. I know the Roadster guys had all under control with their "Free!" stupid hillclimb up the old SkiPark road. None of those heros ever showed up for the real track time at Thunderhill. Hooligans methinks.

Dennis

• Like 3

Yah i was just going off what the roadster guys used to say all the time.  Nice to get some clarification.   And i didnt care for the autocross,  but loved the show itself :)  Where i first met Art Hughes,  before i ended up buying his 510. 

• Like 2

I also went for my first and only time around 2000/2001. Thunderhill and the auto cross were the draws for me as I am not really a car show guy - I like to drive! Dennis and Peggy were beyond hospitable to myself and my wife and I met some awesome people there. I have the group photo framed on the wall in my office along with a shot of my car at Thunderhill (also my avitar) and some other 510 stuff. It will always be one of my favorite vacations. Thanks Dennis! -Andy Klink

• Like 1

I also went for my first and only time around 2000/2001. Thunderhill and the auto cross were the draws for me as I am not really a car show guy - I like to drive! Dennis and Peggy were beyond hospitable to myself and my wife and I met some awesome people there. I have the group photo framed on the wall in my office along with a shot of my car at Thunderhill (also my avitar) and some other 510 stuff. It will always be one of my favorite vacations. Thanks Dennis! -Andy Klink

I always enjoyed Thunderhill and auto cross as well. I believe I met you at Thunderhill that year- always remember your cool 510.

• Like 1

The truth is I rather quickly tired of the whole show part of the event and really liked the autocross part, then the track days at Thunderhill added enough for me to keep the thing going long after the show was losing money. The show part was really run by Lynn Mulkey just so I would keep the thing going for at least the second half of the running. The show folks always complained that they had to subsidise the autocross, as if the rent on the site was influenced by the activity held. Shows require trophies and trophies cost money guys, and the SkiPark cost the same no matter what we did. I know the Roadster guys had all under control with their "Free!" stupid hillclimb up the old SkiPark road. None of those heros ever showed up for the real track time at Thunderhill. Hooligans methinks.

Dennis

Yes, always enjoyed the driving events (Thunderhill & autocross). Thanks Dennis & Peggy for all the good times.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Damn the Shasta event sounded awesome, I have heard so many great things about it over the years. Too bad all Datsun owners can't just combine resources and revive it to create an awesome car festival. Maybe we should pull together with other Classic Japanese Car owners and make it a smaller version of JCCS, but for Northern California, then we can meet up with all the Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Mistsubishi, Prince, Suzuki, Hino, etc. We are all like minded people with a passion for cars, this should be the central unifying factor, all of us are car enthusiasts, can we not all work together to create a new groundbreaking event, that would raise plenty of fees to pay for the event? 510, Z, Roadster, 1200, Datsun Truck guys all should unite, California is one of the last bastion's for Datsuns in the country, why not enjoy some awesome moments together before they all turn into rust?