This truck project is the reason I built that thing. I plan to use it for other stuff, but this was my motivation.
I needed to see if I could stack bends the way I needed to to make door frame so I got a piece of practice sheet. I busted out my calipers so I could measure each bend in the metal and know how big to make it. It took me 3 tries to figure out how to translate what I was measuring into marks and bends on my flat sheet. But finally I got something that seemed good.
I had some frame reinforcement in the way of building this properly, so that had to come out. New stuff will be designed, built, and installed when I mold the two cab frames together up there.
I cut the side out of the hunk of spare king cab I still have sitting in my driveway (months later) to use as the door frame. It's the exact same metal, so I have no concerns about gauge or anything.
Then bent it up. It was a different gauge than my practice sheet, so my measurements weren't working correctly. Again, it took me 3 tries. But I got it, and cut out a piece of door frame to finish the top. Came out looking/fitting pretty decent I think.
Big red magnet is holding the black piece of door frame up in the top of the door opening.
Cut more off the face of the B pillar. I will need to simply blend this exposed edge back in to my new piece of B pillar.
Here you can see the gaps in the front of the blue pillar piece. My template was way off, so I will need to rework what I have and add some back in. I also didn't really understand where I was placing the door pillar, so I cut too much off the bottom rocker area, which I will have to patch back in. I'm hoping the other side (which I haven't started on at all) will go much better.
Getting an idea of door frame shape. The window frame of the front door isn't completely vertical, it lays back toward the back of the cab at a slight angle. The rear door window frame will be at the same angle. So I'm matching the front window frame to that angle as well, otherwise the door looks really awkward.
I cut the windshield portion of the A pillar door frame out from the rest of it. That is what I am hoping to use as the upper half of my B pillar. The body is curved up here, so I can't just brake another w shape on my brake. The curve isn't exactly identical when this piece is laid on the vertical, but it appears to be sufficiently close to work fine. I circled area I'm using in green hoping it will help explain.
Still working on perfecting the angle and placement of the frame pieces right now. I'm pretty sure the bottom piece is basically in place. I jigsawed it in to the existing B pillar and it seems pretty good, maybe just a little more fine tuning.
I will have to hand build the upper corner after I get all of these placed. But that basically brings us up to speed on where I am and what I'm working on right now. I have been thinking lots about the roof, but have made no decisions at this point. I even built a tool that will help me hold the correct curve in the roof panels, should I go the route of cutting the entire back roof down and lining it up with the front half.
A little project binky bouncing on some flat strap steep strung between two jack stands and I got the curve I needed to match the original roof line.
Tacked a couple of hefty bars across it so it won't deform when I push on it.
Return to the Nissan bottle jack
No idea if I will even be using it though. But here you can see my awesome sunroofs. The front one is a standard one piece sunroof. But the rear one is an amazingly ridiculous 2 tiny sunroof setup, one per each side. I freaking love it.
I believe that brings us pretty much up to date. I have a number of other ideas and plans that haven't even been started on yet, so they haven't been discussed here either. Many decisions still have not been made, so they will be revealed as they are made and built/installed, or if asked, I will happily discuss all the elements of a given decision that I am struggling with.
And right now, the welder that I share with my brothers is in possession of one of those brothers, so no welding can be performed in the next while. So I've gone back to the ever highly sucktastic wiring job I am trying to finish in my 510.